Firmware Engineer at Flock Safety () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-08 05:00:57
Eliminate Crime. Build Community.
Flock Safety provides the first public safety operating system that empowers private communities and law enforcement to work together to eliminate crime. We are committed to protecting human privacy and mitigating bias in policing with the development of best-in-class technology rooted in ethical design, which unites civilians and public servants in pursuit of a safer, more equitable society.
Our Safety-as-a-Service approach includes affordable devices powered by LTE and solar that can be installed anywhere. Our technology detects and captures objective details, decodes evidence in real-time and delivers investigative leads into the hands of those who matter.
While safety is a serious business, we are a supportive team that is optimizing the remote experience to create strong and fun relationships even when we are physically apart. Our flock of hard-working employees thrive in a positive and inclusive environment, where a bias towards action is rewarded. Flock Safety is headquartered in Atlanta and operates nationwide. We have raised approximately 250M in venture capital including a recent Series D round by Andreessen Horowitz. Now surpassing a 1B valuation, Flock is scaling quickly and seeking the best and brightest to help us meet our goal of eliminating crime in the United States by 25% in the next three years.
About the opportunity
The Flock Safety Detect team is looking to add an Embedded Firmware Engineer to ourEngineering team. The Detect team is made up of scrappy engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. In this position, you will be responsible for developing code for mW scale IoT devices, ultimately enhancing and delivering critical evidence to our customers. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about taking new products and cutting edge research to production.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Write code to handle IoT sensors, networking, radios, power management, over-the-air updates and device provisioning
- Collect and analyze data on device and communicate with the cloud
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we are a machine learning enabled IoT device powered by the sun!
- Design systems at scale – we operate a fleet of thousands of physical devices that process data on the edge and in the cloud in real time
- Understand and proactively solve-by-design challenges faced by Machine Learning, Cloud, Deployment and Customer stakeholders
- Collaborate with Hardware, Machine Learning, and Platform teams on multifaceted projects touching the entire system from blinky to user facing web UI.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related subject or equivalent education and experience
- You get excited the first time you’re able to read a register value from a new chip
- Enjoy writing bare metal and RTOS code in C/C++ on microcontrollers
- Able to squeeze extra power and performance out of a potato
- Desire to tackle complex problems, learn quickly, iterate, and persist towards a robust solution
- Effectively communicate at the level of your audience, and seek to understand and be understood
- Basic knowledge of common software development and versioning tools such as git, subversion, etc
- Like to work on a product you can touch, see, and experience
- Don't mind clicking accept when the screen says you're about to void the warranty
- Are excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product
- Be able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you're the only one who laughs
- Experience with IoT, LoRa, BT and/or WiFI a plus
- Knowing how to use a soldering iron a plus
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary (commensurate with experience), equity in the company, take what you need vacation policy, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth mission-driven startup. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one community at a time.