Developer at Defiant Inc () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-10 05:00:07
Are you excited about working for a technology company that is securing the web? Are you looking for full-time, flexible hours* working remotely from anywhere in the United States? If so, this may be your dream job!
$110,000 to $120,000 along with a $15,000 signing bonus.
*Required core hours of 10am - 1pm Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.
You'll work with a talented and highly-motivated team that is friendly, fast-moving, self-managing, and highly capable with a sense of humor. Our team's family time is important; we won't typically require long hours when we can avoid it, which is almost always. Our entire team works remotely using Slack for casual interaction, so you can live practically anywhere in the World if you have an Internet connection. There's no micro-management here—we trust that you will see tasks through to completion and communicate with your fellow team members when needed or ask for help when needed.
At Defiant, ‘trust’ is the attribute we value most highly among our team members. We need to know that you can grab a task, communicate clearly with stakeholders, and see the task to completion with superb attention to detail.
We use apps like Slack, FogBugz, GitHub, and Google Apps for our workflow.
We must be able to trust that you can grab a bug, do a great job of implementing the required code, and do it in a way that is scalable, secure, bug free, and maintainable. Our release tempo is frequent, and we put a premium on our team being able to produce well engineered software. We're not a bureaucracy. The code you write will be deployed in short order on over 4 million websites, and we need to ensure that our team continues to provide the high standard of engineering our customers have become accustomed to.
Note that this role is for a “Developer” position at Defiant, Inc. We acknowledge that developers improve with time and experience, and our intent with this role is to provide an opportunity for less experienced developers to benefit from mentoring, and potentially grow into a Senior Developer role. If you feel you are already at Senior Developer level, please don’t hesitate to apply for that position instead. For both roles, you’ll notice that the job requirements are similar, but the interview process for a Senior Developer is more rigorous, and our knowledge requirements are broader and deeper.
Also note that there is no artificial limit on the pace at which team members can advance at Defiant. In other words, advancement at Defiant is not based on time with the company, seniority, or other constraining factors. If you progress quickly, we quickly acknowledge that, and modify your job title and pay as needed. If you join as a Developer, you may grow into a Senior Developer in a matter of months, or it may take a few years.
The specific skills we require for this position are:
- Development experience with PHP. You've written code that is not only secure but scales to a large number of users.
- Production experience with MySQL. You've designed database schemas with an emphasis on scalability and performance.
- Experience working with large amounts of frequently updated data, and designing efficient schemas is a plus.
- Experience with Apache, NGINX, HAProxy, and/or OpenResty. You've built apps on a LAMP/LEMP stack.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and JS. Vue.js and/or Node.js experience is a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of Git and GitHub. You've collaborated with other developers on a project on GitHub.
- Experience using Linux systems. You're comfortable using the command line to troubleshoot issues on a server.
- Experience with AWS is a plus.
- Understanding of common web vulnerabilities is a plus. You're able to identify vulnerabilities through code reviews.
- Experience with WordPress is a plus. You've written custom code that utilizes the WordPress API.
- A keen interest in information security is a plus. Credentials like Security+, CISSP, or others are a strong plus.
- AWS knowledge of SQS, Glue, CloudFormation, Big Data, ML, Kinesis and Lake Formation are a plus.
- Experience with Laravel is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of other languages is a strong plus.
All positions require a trial period of approximately 2-3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from a offer of employment with the company.
- $15,000 signing bonus
- Full time telecommuting and flexible working hours, with a company that has been 100% remote for over 8 years.
- 100% employee premium and 50% of dependent premium paid by company for premier- level medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 21 days PTO per year to start.
- 12 paid company holidays including the week from December 25 to January 1.
- 401(k) with a 4% Safe Harbor company match that is 100% vested immediately.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology.
- Wellness reimbursement program for health and fitness purchases.
- Mobile phone and internet reimbursement up to $100 per month.
- Monthly beverage reimbursement for coffee, tea, water, etc.
- Paid training and study time for work-related training and certifications.
- College tuition reimbursement.
Diversity at Defiant
We value diversity and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, economic status, parental status, or any other non-performance-related status.