Senior Ruby on Rails Developer at Utrack () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-12 05:01:16
WHO WE ARE
A young innovative dynamic Company that have grown fast in a short time. With clients ranging from top100 FTSE Companies across Ireland, UK, Europe and the USA they are looking to find like-minded people to join their expanding and award-winning team that has one core vision. To create a platform that elevates a passengers’ experience of using public transport, while allowing our clients to use real time business intelligence data to transform their businesses.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
They are continuing to grow and so is the demand for our services, and we’re now looking to bring a Senior Ruby on Rails Developer as a new addition to the team. Their success comes from building great products and services, and their growth comes from expanding and improving their products as quickly as they can.
They want engineers that are passionate about their craft and proud of the work they create. They want skills and opinions, with the desire to collaborate, learn and refine their capabilities, and make meaningful contributions to their technical output on a daily basis. They love people who show initiative and innovation, trying to drive quality and efficiencies in their technology.
They expect a senior developer to care about their code quality, striving to produce clean, concise, readable, maintainable, and well-tested code.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Expect to collaborate closely with the product, design and other backend teams to build new features, drive technical direction, and build scalable applications targeting modern browsers and native mobile applications. You will work closely with the frontend developers (they primarily use React.js and React Native), the Head of Product, and report to the Head of Engineering.
The Ruby technical stack includes Ruby on Rails, Postgres, and Redis. You’ll be working on two existing applications that provide APIs for native mobile applications as well as web-based administrative views for two of our key products. You will also be creating a new application to handle operational and analytical data, to be presented to both internal and external stakeholders, as we strive to improve our operational intelligence.
It is important to note that having experience and being comfortable with working alongside remote teams is important for this role.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Talented ruby developer with 3+ years’ experience in Ruby on Rails, and 5+ years’ experience as a professional developer overall
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- You should enjoy solving problems: breaking down an issue and designing the solution, then producing a high-quality implementation
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written – in this role you will use a combination of slack, email, video conferencing, as well as face-to-face meetings
- Demonstrated technical leadership and initiative
- Understand performance concerns when working with ruby web applications: IO, GIL, workers, threads, memory consumption, response times, database query optimisation
- git for source control management
- Creating new applications from scratch, as well as maintaining and evolving complex rails applications with substantial codebases
- Judicious approach to testing, and experience with writing unit tests, controller tests, integration tests, and functional tests
- Experience designing and implementing APIs and client authentication
- Experience giving and receiving technical feedback via code reviews
- Sidekiq background processing of jobs
- Experience and knowledge of other modern programming languages
- Postgres and PostGIS specifically, but experience with other databases and data stores is positive
- Creating/maintaining Docker builds of ruby applications
- Slim templating language
- Devise, Active model serializers, JSON Web Tokens, Pundit
- Testing tools: rspec, capybara, headless chrome
- Experience providing technical support either directly to a client or via a support desk
- Gitlab and JIRA
- Managing AWS resources and services
- Monitoring of production web services
Salary will be in line with experience. This company offer a generous healthcare and pension plan, gym membership, paid breakfast and lunches to all employees, annual performance bonus, team nights out, flexible working arrangements and the latest technology to work with.