Engineering Manager - shape services that help and protect UK citizens at UK Home Office (Croydon, UK)
Location: Croydon, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-14 05:00:10
Closing date: Monday 30th August 2021
This role is advertised as an Engineering Manager but is also known as a Principal Engineer in UK Home Office.
We’re at the start of an exciting transformation to modernise critical national software applications to help safeguard the UK for the future. This includes national policing systems handling thousands of enquiries and transactions a day. The result of this work will impact lives of citizens well into the future, this work matters!
You’ll be involved in transforming outdated legacy systems with up-to-date Java based platform(s) in order to fulfil this very important and strategic national capability, that puts users of the services first. Working in an agile and user-centric environment you’ll work with both internal and external engineering teams to deliver new features. These will include implementing new both data analytics and intelligence analysis platforms to provide key new real-time capabilities - ultimately making the country a safe place to live and realising savings for the public purse.
You'll have the opportunity to help establish and grow our community culture to support this, working with vendors, product management, engineering, and the business.
Your key areas of impact will be:
- using your deep technical and organisational skills to understand and solve service reliability issues whist reflectively finding improvements in day-to-day processes
- building and leading a team of senior software and DevOps engineers to develop, maintain and support a range of substantial public-focussed and government-focussed services
- planning our workforce and recruiting civil servants, building a strong technical talent pool; coaching and mentoring as necessary
- encouraging a vibrant and engineering led culture in the Home Office
- taking a hands-on role with engineering delivery where necessary, blending your leadership and technical skills to achieve team objectives
What you'll need to be successful
We’re looking for people who can bring together deep technical expertise and strong management skills, as a principal your focus will be more on team and stakeholder management responsibilities whilst supporting delivery and developing those around you. You’ll have great experience:
- leading technology teams, with a background overseeing large scale/complex technical projects
- in a wide range of technical systems, preferably covering cloud hosted solutions developed with Node.js, Java and Python (secondary)
- supervising the work of others, providing coaching, mentoring and/or line managing other technical staff
- of modern software design principles from proposal through to implementation
- in agile development using continuous integration principles
- coordinating delivery across multiple systems, as well as defining, documenting and testing technical solutions
Some of the benefits our engineers love
- 34 days leave including public holidays, rising further withservice
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of about 27%
- training and development opportunities
- interest free season ticketloan
- an in-year bonusscheme
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity