Node.js Developer Consultant (Remote, Full Time) at Bitovi (Chicago, IL) (allows remote)
Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-19 05:01:08
PLEASE NOTE: At this time we are not reviewing or accepting any candidates located outside the United States and Canada.
WHO YOU ARE
Node.js Developer Consultant
You're an experienced backend developer with a strong working knowledge of Node.js, and your current work just isn't holding your attention. You'd like to level up your skills working with a wide variety of applications and technologies, and it'd be amazing if you could see your work out there in the real world. You like problem solving and having a team with whom you can brainstorm simple solutions to complex problems. You want the freedom to work where you want, when you want, and with the kinds of projects you enjoy most.
In your career so far, you've built:
- Strong working knowledge of Node.js
- Complex scaling issues and tiered caching strategies
- Modern, microservice-based web applications
- Full stack skills including deployment, database, and front end
Bonus points if you also have:
- Experience with cloud deployments and management (AWS, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Authentication and authorization (sessions, API tokens, JWTs)
- Concurrency and scaling techniques
- Automated testing experience (unit and integration testing, performance testing and benchmarking)
- Experience with Go or other statically-typed, compiled programming languages
If that sounds like you, read on. We've got a place for you at Bitovi.
WHO WE ARE
Bitovi helps companies create better software and applications. We're driven by the desire to provide value - to our clients, to the technology community, and to our incredible team.
Every day, we design and build a wide variety of high-profile applications. We discuss and design architectures, review code, and research new front-end technologies. We talk to our clients directly, guiding them through the process, identifying potential problems and unknowns, and tackling challenges.
We help one another freely. We keep a Slack channel called ask-help and it's used constantly. We develop new skills, build better developer tools, and work on new types of projects regularly - and take the time to present at conferences, give trainings, and run meetups. We're huge devotees of open source, and our community of developers is second to none.
Our fully remote team consists of about 60 developers and designers located around the US and Canada. We welcome diversity and non-traditional paths into the developer profession - we want the right person, not the right collection of tech keywords.
You can learn more about us with this short read: Hello Potential Bitovian.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AT BITOVI
Develop. You'll get to work on interesting projects in a culture that values quality over quantity and collaboration over cowboy coding. You'll have time each week for a one-on-one with your team lead, daily standups and weekly scrum-based meetings, and protected time to work on research, presentations, articles, or other passion projects. The bulk of your day will be spent on development, and projects you might work on include:
- Microservices and serverless architectures
- Interface and schema design using OpenAPI, JSON Schema, as well as GraphQL
- A variety of Node.js application frameworks and tools
- Relational, NoSQL, and in-memory data stores
Consult. You'll meet with clients regularly to learn about their needs and update them on the progress of their projects.
Travel. Pre-Covid, our development team traveled to meet with our clients in person, and we'll be doing so again once it's safe to travel. Travel averages 3-5 days every 10-12 weeks, and we'll always be working with your schedule.
Teach. You'll have protected time each week to present at conferences, give trainings, plan and run meetups, create and maintain open source projects, and create various kinds of content in your area of expertise, with Bitovi's full support.
You'll fit in well at Bitovi if you are:
- Interested in development best practices
- Experienced in contributing to or using open source projects
- Flexible enough to work well autonomously or as part of a larger team
- Always developing new skills, trying out new technology, and testing new ideas
- Comfortable working with clients directly
- Equally at ease in a leadership or team role
WHAT WE OFFER
First and foremost: you'll get to be part of a supportive, talented, amazing team who supports and challenges one another to do their most exceptional work. You'll get to contribute to and lead a diverse array of projects, expand your skills and stature in the tech community, and build a portfolio of work you're passionate about and proud of.
You'll also enjoy excellent benefits, including:
- Competitive salary and annual bonus opportunity
- Completely remote work with flexible hours
- 401(k) matching
- 4 weeks of paid vacation in addition to 7 paid holidays
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Biannual company retreats to places like Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Amelia Island (on hold during Covid, but definitely to return!)
- Mini virtual retreats held quarterly during Covid
HOW TO APPLY
Write a resume and a thoughtful introduction that includes:
- Why you're interested in this role
- Something you recently worked on and are proud of
- A fun fact about yourself
All job offers are contingent on successfully passing a background check.