Senior PHP/WordPress Developer at The Motley Fool Inc () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-30 12:56:09
What does this team do?
Our mission on the Global Tech Team: Helping people invest their hard-earned cash more effectively and profitably all around the world. We are the team that builds and maintains www.fool.com.au, www.fool.ca, www.fool.co.uk, www.fool.de and www.motleyfool.co.jp. We run our sites on WordPress Multisite and write a lot of custom code around customer acquisition, e-commerce, analytics, and user experience using modern PHP and Vue.js, often integrating with 3rd-party systems via API’s.
What would you do in this role?
We are looking for a savvy, talented PHP developer to join our team as we expand our global reach. We live and breathe online, so we are constantly stepping up our site game. With your broad experience, you have solid, hands-on work experience building beautiful, fast, and functional websites, and you enjoy thinking outside the box and collaborating with those around you. We are a highly motivated, highly valued, motley crew, each with unique perspectives we bring to the team, and we play a critical role in the success of the Fool’s brand across multiple teams.
But what does this role actually do?
- Contribute to a large PHP 7 codebase focused around leveraging WordPress Multisite as a CMS.
- Opportunities to work with Vue.js and other frontend technologies (though this isn’t usually our primary focus)
- Collaborate with stakeholders and cross functional groups to drive action and build great, useful features.
- Help us evolve and improve our customer experience, online checkout, product access, marketing/SEO site-tuning and analytics systems.
- Help us build/find better tooling for local development: eg automated testing, CI/CD workflows, error logging.
- From figuring out the scope and goals of a story to researching, developing a strategy and then implementing the solution - you’ll be part of the process at every step and have a team of like-minded developers to collaborate with - making heavy use of GitHub PR’s and branch workflow.
What do you need to apply?
- You’re a highly skilled, detail-oriented PHP Developer, well-versed in modern best practices like Test Driven Development and Object Oriented Programming.
- Some experience with writing code for WordPress as a CMS or at least one other PHP CMS or application framework.
- Experience working with SaaS/RESTful API’s.
- Comfortable blurring the line between traditional back-end and front-end development, often integrating PHP with client-side frameworks and Ajax.
It’s even better if you have…
- Good instinct for choosing tools that are appropriate for solving problems and not because of tech fashion trends (although we do like to stay innovative!).
- A history of work on a large development project where you collaborated with other developers, designers, and product owners.
- Curiosity and a love of learning: Whether it’s the latest technology, how the Foolish business operates, or investing, you have an insatiable appetite for knowledge. And you love to share that knowledge with your fellow Fools!
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with The Motley Fool’s mission, purpose, and ethos.
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don't hesitate to apply if the description above leaves you thinking, "Hey! I could do that!"
The Motley Fool has been twice named Glassdoor’s #1 Best Small Business to work for in the U.S., named to Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2020, named one of BuiltIn’s Best Places to Work in Colorado, and we’re a perennial favorite on Washingtonian’s list of Best Places to Work year after year. Our targeted cash compensation for this role is between $100,000 and $130,000, and does not include any potential equity offerings.Below you’ll see a few of our perks, but check out this site for the complete list:
- No “vacation policy” (not to be confused with a “No vacation” policy)
- Paid maternity, paternity, and pet-ernity leave
- $1,000 to invest when you start
- Super low premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage
- Comprehensive compensation package, including company equity