Senior Java Engineer at ProQuest () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-31 05:00:20
ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.Senior Software Engineer- RemoteWhat will I be doing?
As a Senior Software Engineer at ProQuest, you will be responsible for the design, implementation, and testing phases of the software development life cycle. As a Sr. Software Engineer on the Platform Services team, you will be developing and maintaining Java web services that are used to power ProQuest’s products.
In this position, you will also…
- Implement Java-based web services based on the needs of client applications.
- Work with the database team for all data retrievals and updates from our services. Knowledge of SQL is essential.
- Transition our service architecture from on-premises servers to AWS.
- Transition our services from Oracle to Postgres as part of a multi-year migration.
- Manually test, and build unit tests, for all the services you create or modify.
- Participate as a team member on various engineering projects and may lead small projects.
- Respond to inquiries regarding the function and design of our services and attend scrum team meetings.
- Suggest alternative methodologies or techniques to achieving desired results.
- Document our services for other developers that use them.
- Review and revise new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high-quality software.
- Provide technical training to other team members.
- Participate in the creation, implementation, and administration of departmental policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Maintain knowledge of technical advances and evaluates new hardware/software for company use.
Qualified Candidates must have…• Bachelors’ degree or higher in the related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, plus at least 6 years of software development experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.• Strong Java software development skills which include coding, testing and debugging in an agile environment.• Experience with programmatically manipulating XML• Ability to write functional/detailed design specifications based on user or system requirements• Ability to work with design tools (e.g. Visio)
Reasons you should apply….• If you enjoy working with Java software• If you enjoy interesting technical challenges• If you enjoy being exposed to many different technologies
This job may not be a fit if……• You prefer front-end development; this would not be the job for you!• You do not have AWS experience• You do not have XML experience
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…• Oracle and PostgreSQL experience• Previous experience writing and reviewing User Stories• Experience with large-scale web systems in a 24x7 production environment• Working knowledge using SQL databases• REST interface experience• Experience using technologies such as AWS, Git, Apache and Tomcat
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:• This is a remote position • This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you’re a talented professional in search of a career opportunity within a Global Organization, please consider joining our talented team!!
EOE/M/F/Vet/DisabledLink for Forbes Best Mid-Size Employers: https://www.proquest.com/about/news/2018/Forbes-Ranks-ProQuest-Among-Americas-Best-Mid-Size-Employers.htmlAnn Arbor = Forbes Happiest Places to Work