Software Engineer - Data Pipeline at Saildrone (Alameda, CA)
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-08-31 05:01:07
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
Data is Everything. The Saildrone fleet of ocean-going vessels tirelessly sails the world's seas piecing together the world's largest high-resolution meteorological oceanic dataset at a rate, precision and price point that was previously impossible. With NOAA approved data precision and demonstrated reliability, two other datasets that you'll be working with are ocean floor depth mapping and maritime domain awareness, anything associated with the safety and security of the global maritime domain, such as illegal fishing and drug enforcement.
You will build the data pipeline powering both our external APIs and internal business intelligence about our drones. An effort spanning architecture, development, reliability, and scale, it is critical in our mission to deliver planetary insights.
Experience in data pipeline/platform software development in cloud environment (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
Working knowledge of Athena/Presto, BigQuery, Redshift, or Snowflake data querying technologies
NoSQL experience - DynamoDB, Redis, Influx, Timescale
Familiar with Argo, Airflow, or Luigi workflow orchestration engines
Expertise in Python, NodeJS, or Go programming languages
- Familiar with Parquet or Protobuf data file formats
Experience working with time series, geospatial, or geo-temporal data would be a huge bonus
- Working knowledge of relational databases (Postgres).
Experience with serverless functions, such as AWS Lambda
Experience with developing and deploying distributed services with Docker
Knowledge of analytic tools such as Jupyter Notebooks, Tableau, AWS Quicksight
Built data pipelines for Machine Learning applications
This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents.
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
- Gulfstream (April 2021)
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Five Ways Saildrones Satellites Of The Seas Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.