AlphaFold DB Full-stack web developer at European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) (Hinxton, UK)
Location: Hinxton, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-09-02 05:00:34
We are looking for a full-stack web developer interested in structural biological data and predicted structures in the AlphaFold Protein Structure Database (AlphaFold DB) to join the Velankar team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI). This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of EMBL and DeepMind's new partnership aiming to make the most complete and accurate database yet of the human proteome freely and openly available to the scientific community. This is the perfect role for someone who is creative, curious, and ambitious and who likes to tackle challenging user experience problems. AlphaFold DB provides open access to protein structure predictions for the human proteome and 20 other key organisms to accelerate scientific research. The Velankar team manages AlphaFold DB, PDBe, and PDBe-KB data resources. You will be joining an excellent group consisting of international and inter-disciplinary professionals including data curators, bioinformaticians, scientific software developers, and IT specialists. The successful candidate will update data, create, and improve data transfer and processing pipelines, implement API endpoints, and develop user-facing web pages.
- MSc or PhD in software development or related fields
- A proven track record of full-stack web development
- Proficiency in Python3
- Proficiency in Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with programmatic access frameworks (FastAPI)
- Excellent written and oral English skills
You might also have
- Experience in data visualisation
- Experience with Angular.js
- Proficiency in HTML, CSS and TS
- Scientific publications on the field of protein structural bioinformatics
- Knowledge of D3.js
Why join us
Do something meaningful At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a project-limited contract for 16 months with an anticipated completion date of 28/02/2023.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 30 September 2021.