Full Stack Developer at Catawiki (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-09-21 05:00:05
Who we are
A piece of the moon, a complete dinosaur skeleton, the Pope's hat, the world's smallest book - at Catawiki, we come across exceptional objects such as these every day. The special object you’ve been searching for, or a new and unexpected interest you never thought you’d have: the more you look, the more you’ll find. And at Catawiki, there’s always more to the story.
Our experts value, authenticate and curate everything from automobiles to vintage stamps, so everything you encounter is real and layered with meaning - waiting to be found.
Our mission is to connect passionate enthusiasts with the objects that tell their stories. As Europe’s fastest growing online auction platform, we help over 10 million people discover new treasures every month. This means we are continually growing and always on the lookout for new talent!
Born and raised in The Netherlands, we started in 2008 and have since grown to over 650 Catawikians, working across 7 international offices, while maintaining our start-up mentality every step of the way. In December 2020 we received a new €150m investment round led by Permira and are excited to be growing our team and business further across the world.
What you’ll do
Here at Catawiki, you will make an impact by improving and delivering product innovations for the Catawiki platform. Along with other members of the Development team, you will build scalable microservices while measuring and monitoring system performance. In addition, you will use experimentation, backed by data analysis, to add product features and deliver the best user experience on the platform.
What you’ll bring
We look for engineers who are motivated to learn new things, ship new features, and pursue new and interesting challenges. Our backend stack is mainly focused around Ruby and the frontend is mainly built using React. However, if you’re passionate about learning new things then prior experience with Ruby and React is not essential.
- Proven experience in collaborating closely with other engineers and product managers to become a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and deploying services with a focus on high availability, low latency, and consistency.
- Proficiency in languages such as Python, Ruby, Go, Java, PHP, C#, and other applicable backend languages is preferred.
- Experience in both Functional and Object-oriented programming paradigms.
- Expertise in frontend frameworks such as React, Angular, or Ember.
- Good knowledge of Relational databases and familiarity with NoSQL databases.
- Experience and/or interest in Test Driven Development (TDD).
- You know how to monitor and manage the application in production: you build it, you run it, you love it!
- Knowledge of container orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes) is a big plus.
What we can offer you
This is your chance to become part of a fast but sustainable growing tech company! You'll be part of an enthusiastic, highly motivated team of 650+ international Catawikians; you'll have big responsibilities and can really create something. Additionally, you can expect:
- An attractive Stock Option package
- A diverse and international team with over 50 different nationalities.
- Catawiki provides you with a membership to the O’Reilly learning platform.
- As part of Catawiki’s goal to create a healthy and happy culture, we’ve partnered with Headspace, a global leader in mindfulness and meditation! We provide our employees with a free one-year subscription for Headspace.
- Work from home office set-up to make sure you have all you need in an ergonomically-friendly manner.
- A bike scheme for employees that helps realise a tax advantage which makes a bike up to 35% cheaper than buying!
- Our entrepreneurial environment encourages everyone to take initiative and experiment with new ideas. You’ll actively contribute to the growth of the Catawiki platform.
- For people living outside of NL, we offer a great relocation package for you and your family
- The fun part! Our Activity Committee plans everything from ‘CataFooty’ to International Food Festivals, Friday Drinks, Board Game Nights, Pub Quizzes, and Boot Camps!
- And there’s more! Paid holidays, Holiday Allowance, a discount on health insurance, and a fantastic pension plan paid for by Catawiki.
Catawiki is committed to building a diverse company and diverse teams. That includes everyone, no matter your age, ability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. We welcome applications from underserved and underrepresented communities. If you’ve got a story to tell, come and join us.
Working and hiring remotely
When it is safe to do so, Catawiki will be implementing a hybrid work policy where employees based in the Netherlands will work from the office 1-2 times per week and from home for the rest. All of our expert positions are 100% remote based.