Software Engineering at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-09-24 05:00:57
As a member of our Commodities Technology team in London, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through technology and innovation. You'll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of the software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on shared goals.
We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You'll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking environment - one that welcomes creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers globally.
This role is a part of a global team that develops and maintains commodity trading, risk management, P&L reporting and price calculation applications based on J.P. Morgan's Athena platform and requires an agile mindset to be able to focus on both strategic initiatives and streamline/support the day-to-day trading activities of the desk.
Athena is J.P. Morgan's cross-market risk management and trading system that provides functionality for traders, sales and operations staff globally. It is used in our foreign exchange, fixed income & credit and commodities businesses. Athena includes a globally replicated object-oriented database, a powerful dependency graph and a fully integrated stack across pricing, risk and trading tools. The code base is a combination of Python and C++: C++ for speed, and Python for flexibility and rapid but controlled releases. Athena is designed to provide a CI/CD environment, and pulls developers close to the business to help increase revenues, while improving operational processes and controls to reduce costs.
We are seeking a technically strong and disciplined developer to focus in the Energy Space. Working closely with QR, Trading, Sales and Middle Office teams, you will be called upon to deliver quality code in a fast paced environment that evolves as business opportunities present themselves. The roles will require the ability to attain clear understanding of the Athena platform and of the unique design considerations that come into play in a diverse and highly interdependent systems environment.
This role requires a wide variety of strengths and capabilities, including:
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Math or equivalent training and relevant experience.
- Experience in performant, large-scale system development in an object-oriented or functional language such as Python, Java, Scala, C++ or C#.
- Willingness to become proficient and develop in Python if not already a primary language.
- Good understanding of Agile development methodologies, responsible for elucidating and agreeing requirements, building relationships with business users, and taking ownership of deliverables all the way to the production environment.
- Focus on testing through the entire development cycle to produce reliable and maintainable software.
- Software development experience in commodities, finance or investment banking preferred, or willingness to rapidly learn the business domain.
- Ability to develop a good understanding of end to end business processes.
- Enthusiastic to keep learning and growing, in technical aptitude and business understanding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact confidently and credibly with business users, to understand and agree business requirements and their prioritization.
- Ability to collaborate with other technology teams to deliver end to end solutions to the business in a constantly changing environment.
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms and enterprise architecture.
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world's most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.