Staff Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering at Google (Dublin, Ireland)
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-10-05 05:00:52
- Experience programming in one or more of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Python, Go, Perl, or Ruby.
- Experience with algorithms and data structures and/or systems internals (e.g., filesystems, system calls) and administration.
- Experience architecting, developing, and troubleshooting systems.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, or setting technical direction.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience delivering complex, large scale and critical products with business impact.
- Excellent technical leadership, project management, analytical problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's servicesboth our internally critical and our externally-visible systemshave reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SREs will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. On the SRE team, youll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow. To learn more: check out our books on Site Reliability Engineering, watch a recorded Hangout on Air to meet some of our SREs, or read a career profile about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will have the technical ability to look at a range of systems and drive solutions to large-scale problems. You will provide technical leadership across multiple SRE teams and product engineering teams.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Google's services.
- Lead sustainable incident response, blameless postmortems, and production improvements that result in direct business opportunities for Google.
- Provide guidance to other team members on managing end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services, on building automation to prevent problem recurrence, and on building automated responses for non-exceptional service conditions.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards, and to cultivate innovation and collaboration across multiple teams.
- Manage individual projects priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.