Core Java Developer at Flow Traders (Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
Location: Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-10-16 05:00:18
Flow Traders is looking for an experienced Core Java Developer join our growing Development team in Amsterdam. The ideal candidate is curious, methodical and a multi-tasker. This is a unique opportunity to join a leading proprietary trading firm with an entrepreneurial and innovative culture at the heart of its business. We value quick-witted, creative minds and challenge them to make full use of their capacities. If you aim high, the sky is the limit!
What you will do
Software Engineers in Flow Traders are working on applications that support the core business of the company. Our systems make it possible for Flow Traders to be present and competitive on exchanges worldwide. There is all kinds of code to write, from systems on (or close to) the critical path, from receiving market data to placing orders, to systems handling huge amounts of data in a reliable, performant and traceable manner.
Due to the flat team structure, you will have a chance to participate in writing code, creating new designs and maintaining existing applications with a focus on performance and stability. Our business users are typically only a walk away, which helps to create short feedback loops and to see your changes provide value in the shortest time possible.
To enable that, we strive to follow the best software engineering practices and are supported by the best working environment, latest technology and continuous support from all parts of Flow Traders organization
We work in small teams, grouped by business area. In the Java space, the teams are: Core, Risk Tools, Compliance Tools, Institutional Tools, Trading Tools and Strategies. Each team is typically responsible for a set of related applications and works in tight collaboration with business owners. We maintain libraries shared across the teams to enable code re-use and to have a common view on application architecture. We write extensive unit tests and have a QA team that supports us with integration testing. We follow agile practices, tailored to the problem area and preferred team approach.
Some of the technologies we use in the development process:
- Common stack: Java 8 & Java 11, Netty, Chronicle Queue, Hibernate, MariaDB, Cassandra, gRPC, Guava, Prometheus
- Big Data stack: Kafka, HDFS, AirFlow, Spark, Avro, Hazelcast, Kubernetes, Docker
- Web/UI: Spring MVC, Jetty, Mustache, JavaFX, Jackson
- Testing: Mockito, Truth, JUnit5
- Development life-cycle support: Bitbucket, Bamboo, Confluence, Jira, Sonar Cube, IntelliJ IDEA, your-kit
A day in the life
Morning normally starts with a stand-up meeting with your team. This is an opportunity to catch up on the progress of development, raise problems and discuss plans for the day. A business representative is also present, so questions to trading can be resolved instantly. After standup, you go back to your desk to program, review code on pull requests submitted by colleagues, and discuss functionality with traders. Sometimes a production issue is raised by support, and help from development is needed to provide advice. At lunchtime, you join your team for lunch in the canteen and enjoy a company-provided lunch. During the day, if there are no pressing issues or you feel that you need a break, you can unwind at the pool table or table tennis, or do a workout at the gym. After the day is done, you can join your colleagues to celebrate a successful release or just socialize at our bar.
What you need to succeed
- 3 + years post-graduation work experience
- BSc or MSc in Computing Science or equivalent
- Core Java experience
- Experience in parallel and multithreaded programming
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Interest in achieving maximum performance from available hardware and software
- Ability to communicate with technical and business colleagues
- Working experience in professional software development
- Fluency in English
- Previous experience in the trading industry is advantageous
What we offer
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer competitive salary, annual discretionary profit share and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
- Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend domain-related conferences
- Our own company boat
- In-house gym and sessions with our nutritionist or personal trainer
- In-house Bar and Lounge with an arcade, table tennis, billiards table and game consoles
- Daily catered lunch, amazing coffee and a fully stocked kitchen and snack bar
- Weekly chair massages
- Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year, such as the Year End Party
- Global rotations between our offices worldwide
- and more!
As we are unable to invite you over to our office, we would like to give you a virtual office tour!