Software Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering at Google (Dublin, Ireland)
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-10-21 05:00:45
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in software development in one or more of the following: C, C++, Java, Go and/or Perl, Python, Ruby.
- Experience managing an engineering team on projects with technical dives into code, networking, operating systems, and/or storage.
- Proficiency working with algorithms, data structures and production troubleshooting.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
About the job
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, massively distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Google's servicesboth our internally critical and our externally-visible systemshave reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SREs will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation. On the SRE team, youll have the opportunity to manage the complex challenges of scale which are unique to Google, while using your expertise in coding, algorithms, complexity analysis and large-scale system design.SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. We promote self-direction to work on meaningful projects, while we also strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentorship needed to learn and grow. To learn more: check out our books on Site Reliability Engineering, watch a recorded Hangout on Air to meet some of our SREs, or read a career profile about why a Software Engineer chose to join SRE.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll lead a team and be responsible for products globally, provide technical leadership to key projects, and empower and develop teams to do the same.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Lead a team of Software/Systems Engineers on projects used and enjoyed by users worldwide; be responsible for Google's uptime record.
- Own availability and performance of mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence; automate response to all non-exceptional service conditions.
- Lead by example, care for the team, and establish credibility with the quality of the team's technical execution.
- Manage on-call rotations across continents, using a follow-the-sun model.
- Design, write, and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Google's services.