Developer - support and protect all UK citizens at UK Home Office (Croydon, UK)
Location: Croydon, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-10-29 05:01:20
UK Home Office - Build services that support and protect all UK citizens
It’s an exciting time in Home Office Digital Data and Technology; we have a number of initiatives coming together which are laying the basis for our future operating model. We’re bringing product-centric development and site reliability engineering together into a new portfolio called Shared Application Services (SAS). This will involve growing a team of 350 people over the next few years, this is a really unique development opportunity!
You could be designing and building solutions to help people prove their identity or apply for visas or working on the critical IT systems that support policing and counter terrorism and help protect UK borders. Our success in this role depends on our ability to exploit the latest technologies to create leading-edge, world class solutions whilst ensuring they are secure and resilient.
We're interested in developers from different backgrounds
Are you curious at heart and when confronted with a difficult or strange problem want to act like a detective and crack the mystery? Above all we want people who are open to learning new things and support our mission to transform the critical systems we look after.
If you’re frontend, backend or full stack or if you are looking to change from one to another then we will support you with that too! Home Office really are about investing in people, if you have the coding skills and have experience of a product focussed agile, multi-disciplinary environment then we would be very pleased to hear from you.
If you’re a backend developer, you’ll be familiar with technologies like:
- Java or C# (and their respective ecosystems) or experienced with another modern programming language
- Databases and DB technology (RDBMS, NoSQL for example)
You'll also have experience:
- working within an Agile environment
- full software delivery lifecycle
- working practices such as test driven development (focusing on automation), continuous integration and continuous delivery
- on cloud-based approaches, selecting cloud components and defining infrastructure as code to integrate them (Kubernetes, AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud etc.)
What we offer
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality.
- agile principles
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- pairing smartly
We also offer
- 34 days leave including public holidays, rising further withservice
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of about 27%
- training and development opportunities
- interest free season ticketloan
- an in-year bonusscheme
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity