Engineering Manager (Remote , +3/-3 CET hours) at Pento () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-11-09 05:01:18
At Pento we're building a better, faster, and more modern way for companies to run and automate payroll. We're looking for a full-time Engineering Lead to join our Support & Internal tools team. Your mission is to help us help our customers, by ensuring we provide them with a world-class customer support experience.
We're on a mission to change the way businesses run payroll; making it easy, transparent and truly fast. We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help us lead, nurture and grow our team of engineers in doing the best work of their careers.
As an Engineering Manager you will be contributing to our efforts to drive better product decisions, improve our technical operational efficiency, and enable the team to generate high impact outcomes.
You’ll work closely with our current engineering manager Daniel Sequeira, and our product team and manage a team of engineers.
- Manage the processes necessary to operate the team effectively, aligning the Engineering team with the company’s goals and business priorities;
- Help raise the bar for our team by contributing to best practices (from documentation to automating and streamlining work, to hiring, and more);
- Support the Engineering and Product teams in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use of the services we provide to customers;
- Measure the impact of your team, define and influence product strategy;
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, from helping scope projects to measuring their success and iterating based on user feedback;
- Provide visibility to the wider organisation to ensure we’re all on the same page and aware what’s coming and when;
- Collaborate with your team in thinking through our challenges, both short and long term;
- Motivate, inspire, and empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability and efficiency – we want you to help them do the best work of their careers;
- Run performance reviews and develop progression plans for your reports.
We're looking for someone who:
- Has experience in similar roles with a proven track record managing a growing team of top performers;
- Cares about successful outcomes but also is keen to build a healthy work environment that is both inclusive and supportive;
- Is able to guide and nurture engineering talent in developing new skills and advance in their careers;
- Is able to partner with Engineers, PMs, Designers and other functions to educate strategy and roadmap;
- Can clearly communicate decisions and the rationale behind them;
- Can adjust quickly to changing priorities and help the team focus;
- Having built and managed a fast-growing engineering team in a fast-paced startup is a plus;
- Can do all of this efficiently with mostly asynchronous communication in a remote setting.
What it's like working at Pento
We're a technology company, not an accountancy, payroll bureau, or similar. We build beautiful payroll software that automates all manual workflows and we usually help companies cut 50-80% off the time they spend on payroll. That means no spreadsheets, no e-mails, and no manual bank transfers. We've built an easy-to-use software product, that does all of this automatically.
You can see a short video by our co-founder and CEO, Jonas, here:
Why now is a really exciting time to join
- The UK payroll process hasn’t been disrupted since… ever
- Every company runs payroll, but very few companies are happy with their current process
- Pento makes payroll up to 80% more efficient (we are probably conservative here)
- We already see strong inbound demand from companies all over the UK
- Our customers love Pento - our NPS is above 70 (check our Trustpilot by the way)
You can learn more about what we are all about and how we like to work here:
We're a remote-first company and a diverse group of people. We believe in inclusiveness and are committed to building a team as diverse as the people we create our product for, representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We welcome applications from everyone – regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
We don't believe hiring is a tick boxing exercise, so if you feel you don't match the job description 100%, but would still be a great fit for the role, please get in touch!