Senior Manager Data & Software Engineering for Emerging Markets (f/m/d) at HeidelbergCement AG (Heidelberg, Deutschland)
Location: Heidelberg, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-11-17 05:00:34
HeidelbergCement, one of the largest construction materials companies worldwide, is looking for a Senior Manager Data & Software Engineering Emerging Markets (f/m/d) to scale up our in-house-built HConnect product suite into our emerging markets. The mission is to partner with our subsidiaries’ top management to establish local technology teams who put into practice our “glocal” (global & local) digitalisation strategy.
We are a DAX 40 company with the ambition to become the first industrial tech company in the sector. The digital transformation is enabling us to make a step-change in business excellence by leveraging the potential of our core business offline assets to create new growth paths through digital products and services. This is just the beginning and now is the perfect time to join the team and help us change the industry.
We offer both hybrid-work and remote contracts.
What can you expect in this role?
In the past few years, we have successfully built up a large data and software engineering unit in Heidelberg and our Tech Hubs. Our cross-functional, agile teams work on global initiatives such as web and mobile applications, an API management service, 3rd party integrations, and our ERPs.
The HConnect digital product suite (live in 12 countries, >18k monthly active users, 80% retention rate) delivers best-in-class customer experiences for our end users through our custom-built products. OnSite, the React Native mobile app, enables customers to track and manage their ready-mixed concrete, cement, and aggregates deliveries in real time, allowing for more efficient job site organization, fewer calls to dispatch, and a reduction in material waste and diverted trucks.
Up until this point, we have been creating digital products predominantly at the HeidelbergCement Group level. To drive growth, we want to establish Data & Software Engineering teams in our country organizations to accelerate our digitalisation efforts. This role will be the key technical enabler in multiple emerging markets such as India, Bangladesh, Sub-Saharan Africa and many more.
Your next challenge
- Work closely with the Head of the Data & Software Engineering unit in order to make our emerging market digitalisation a global success story
- Hire, grow and form great engineering teams with the local Data & Software Engineering manager who will be reporting to you and the local CEO
- Build up an engineering community (people, processes, tech) between the teams in the countries and the engineering organization at Group level
- Foster strong knowledge sharing, social bonding and a great engineering culture between the Group and local engineering teams
- Ensure that locally we follow our “one platform” approach by establishing engineering guidelines, data governance and coherent software architectures across the products
- Coach local teams with respect to top notch engineering practices, such as cloud native, DevOps, microservices, CI/CD, TDD, etc.
- Leverage our data platform stack locally to ensure that the local data is made available in order to build high impact use cases and products
- Use your veto right on tech decisions prior to any implementation
- Establish agile practices in the local teams
- Collaborate with global and local Product Owners to break down items from the roadmaps into the local teams
What do we expect from your education and qualifications?
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science (or comparable qualification)
- At least 10 years of work experience in software engineering, ideally in a larger organization or setup
- Multiple years’ experience in leading international engineering teams technically and/or disciplinarily
- Experience in the communicating with top and upper management stakeholders
- Experience with building up data lakes and data governance structures in a larger enterprise is desired
- Practical knowledge with Kubernetes (AKS experience is a plus)
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Regular international traveling will be required, especially in the beginning (but generally about once per month)
We would love to hear from you if…
- You are energised by our ambition to become the first industrial tech company in our sector
- You love having ownership and accountability for strategic topics
- You are a strong communicator, and you know how to establish relationships in a large enterprise
- You consider engineering a craftsmanship and you love to code
- You are able to get the buy-in from your engineers for your ideas and initiatives
- You believe that engineering metrics are essential to drive the efficiency of engineering teams
We are convinced that only those who successfully realize their personal goals can also fully contribute professionally. That's why we offer you attractive benefits, such as:
- Attractive compensation including Christmas and vacation bonuses
- Flexible working time models
- Mobile working within Germany on up to three days per week
- 30 vacation days plus additional special vacation days
- Individual onboarding with participation in the buddy program
- Support for advanced training and continuing education
- Company health management (various company sports groups, health and prevention cam-paigns, company doctor)
- Ergonomic workstations with height-adjustable desks
- Canteen with discounted and healthy meals
- Employer-sponsored company pension plan
- Attractive conditions and discounts at our cooperation partners (gyms, banks, online stores, etc.)
- Job ticket