Engineering Manager at Gorgias () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-11-27 05:00:57
Gorgias helps e-commerce companies deliver excellent customer service at scale. We integrate email, live chat, voice, Facebook, Instagram, and SMS with Shopify, BigCommerce, and Magento. Our product creates a unified customer profile by combining emails, live-chat, and social-media messages with e-commerce data such as purchase and delivery info. Combining all this data in a single application makes customer service more efficient and just better. Another fortunate side-effect is that some requests are completely automated using machine learning. + = We've been around since 2015, and we're serving over 7000+ e-commerce businesses, including Steve Madden, Timbuk2, Decathlon, and Sports Illustrated. Our growth exceeded 200% in 2020, so we raised $25 million Series B in December 2020 to double our global team and to accelerate our progress towards our mission to transform support from painful to exceptional for merchants. The position is also available remote in the EU time zone.
About the Core Engineering Team
- The team is responsible for maintaining the core features of the product, the web browser application, mobile application and the APIs used by the the two and our customers.
- Your work will have a direct impact on our customers, empowering them to to deliver a better support experience to their own clients. Be that through the optimisations we do on the app by making things smoother and faster or through the constant flow of new functionalities to meet our customer needs.
- The backend code is mostly written in Python3 and runs using Flask (REST API) and Celery for all background work. The state is stored in PostgreSQL and RabbitMQ for async tasks with Redis for ephemeral storage, and finally, everything runs on top of Kubernetes.
- The team is currently composed of 4 Front-End Engineers, 2 Full-Stack Engineers, 1 Back-End Engineer and one tech lead.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with senior management and product team on setting team goals and delivering them on time
- Partner with senior engineers to drive good practices around code quality, reliability, monitoring, and security
- Grow your team by hiring new team members, depending on the need and the development strategy
- You're expected to manage a team of up to 10 engineers, so there not a lot of time to do IC work involved, but having the ability to dive into details from time to time is a great skill to have
Who You Are
- 3+ years of experience managing a back-end team of engineers working on high-traffic web apps with a dynamic language such as Python or JS.
- 3+ years of experience working with large RDMS or document databases.
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too.
- You care about working on applications that are putting the customer needs first.
- You are comfortable communicating with other technical teams and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, demo work in progress and provide project updates.
- You have the drive and focus to get challenging projects over the finish line, and you are comfortable advocating for what you need to do your best work.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Company Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary & equity (90th percentile of the market worldwide)
- 5 weeks of vacation
- Paid parental leave
- Latest MacBook Pro or equivalent
- Complimentary private health insurance (we use Alan)
- 50% of public transportation reimbursed (Vélib, Navigo, etc.)
- Personal credit card to buy lunches during the week (we use Swile)
- Get up to $700 to set up your workstation at home (working from home should feel breezy)
- Get up to $2000 of learning material (includes books, courses, training sessions, etc.)
- Every quarter we organize a company-wide summit to discuss where we're going and strengthen the social bonds (once traveling is safe, we'll transform these summits into offsites!)
Engineering Team Culture
Getting Stuff Done, Ownership, Team Work, Excellence, and Agility.
You should join us if you want to ship stuff fast without scarifying quality. We've put great importance on testing our code, cleaning it, treating errors first, and features later.
We also value growth and ownership.
People make mistakes. We learn from them to avoid them in the future. We cannot achieve excellence if there are no bumps in the road.
Why join us?
We're among the fastest-growing startups in the eCommerce ecosystem
We've built an extremely efficient go-to-market engine
Work with a talented team you'll learn a lot from
Join a company where automation, good & clean data are core beliefs shared by all
More cool things to know about Gorgias...
• Raised our Series A for $14M in November 2019: techcrunch.com/2019/11/26/gorgias-series-a
• Raised our Series B for $25M in December 2020: https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/10/gorgias-series-b/
• We went from 0 to 7000 merchants using our platform every day from 2016 to 2021 •
We have a 4.8 rating on Glassdoor •
What our customers are saying: apps.shopify.com/helpdesk#reviews
• Our software stack: stackshare.io/gorgias
• Other positions: jobs.lever.co/gorgias
Gorgias ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.