Senior Linux Engineer, customer assigned, AMER at Canonical () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-12-03 05:01:05
At Canonical, our customer-assigned Senior Linux Engineers, are key to servicing our enterprise customers and partners. This is not a sales role and the role serves as engineering and technical escalation point for our Enterprise class customers and partners within Canonicals Support & Technical Services.
This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and Customer Success to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
No two days are the same in Support & Technical Services. We engage in interesting problems to solve, constantly pick each others brains and our minds are always abuzz with ideas for helping our customers to make the most of their Ubuntu systems. We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented professionals with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assume direct responsibility and drive exceptional support provided to our customer base, with specific focus on assigned accounts.
- Gain understanding of our partner's technical infrastructure and environment, hardware, and/or product(s).
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- For assigned accounts manage support escalations and issue prioritisation, acting internally as a customer advocate.
- Contribute new articles and maintain existing knowledge base articles.
- On a rotation basis, be available for on-call support out of office hours.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25% of the time.
- Capable of mounting a server in top of a standard datacentre racks.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 3+ years experience supporting Linux systems.
- Minimum 1+ years experience with OpenStack, virtualization and other Cloud technologies.
- Advanced troubleshooting (up to application layer, including, core dump analysis and kernel dump analysis desirable).
- Demonstrable expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Advanced storage (RAID, LVM, SAN, file system tuning, etc.)
- Advanced networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, etc.)
- Clustering, cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, etc)
- Development level and troubleshooting experience in at least 2 programming languages like Bash, C, Python, GO, etc .
- Experience managing customer relationships through consulting engagements, account management, or direct support.
- Experience with Ubuntu or Debian. Must be able to understand Ubuntu OS bugs and advise on next steps, acting as a generalist when necessary.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English as a minimum
Desired Skills and Experience
- Debian packaging experience and knowledge of Ubuntu development processes.
- Experience with MAAS and Juju.
- Familiarity with Open Source process and community practices required as well as familiarity with Open Source business model desirable.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems other than Ubuntu.
- Fluency in languages other than English.
- Bachelors or equivalent 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the worlds #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of people and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the worlds computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.