Scientific Staff for HPC Application Support at Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH (Jülich, Deutschland)
Location: Jülich, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-12-08 05:00:07
The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC) operates one of the most powerful supercomputing infrastructures in Europe and makes it available to researchers at Forschungszentrum Jülich, in Germany and throughout Europe. As part of this task JSC conducts various types of Research and Development, often in close collaboration with local, national, and international partner institutions. JSC supports users through its strong expertise in High-Performance Computing and Data Science, on an individual basis as well as within specific projects and cooperations. Together with researchers from various specific fields, such as e.g. biological sciences or energy and climate science, applications and algorithms are analysed, adapted, developed, and optimized which can then make proper use of parallel computing architectures of modern hardware. In addition, software tools and libraries are developed and provided to support users in the efficient use of the systems.
Strengthen JSC in the field “Application Optimisation” as a
Scientific Staff for HPC Application Support
You will be part of a team that is responsible for the analytics of simulation software, the support of their developers for code optimization and the development of supporting software tools on the JSC HPC systems. Your work will include:
- Analysis of parallel scientific applications with respect to efficiency and scalability, in close collaboration with their developers
- Identification of optimization potential, with focus on architecture-specific optimization strategies aiming at scaling and/or performance improvements
- Co-development and application of software tools and libraries which are relevant for users and support staff on JSCs supercomputers, such as the system wide job monitoring
- Benchmarking on hardware prototypes and analysis of results
- Cooperation with partners in various projects funded by the federal government and the EU in the field of user support, optimization of application programs and development of software tools
- Support for computing time projects as well as contributions to work shops and training activities
- Preparation of project reports and presentation / publication of results at collaboration meetings, workshops, and conferences
- Master’s degree in Technomathematics or university degree in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics or natural science or equivalent degree
- Proven experience in parallel programming and the analysis of parallel applications using the paradigms Message-Passing (MPI) and/or OpenMP on Linux / UNIX systems
- Programming experience in at least one of the following: C, C++, Fortran
- Proven background in software development, benchmarking, or application optimization
- Firm experience in the usage of Unix-based operating systems
- Ability to work independently and in a team of scientists with heterogeneous backgrounds
- Firm communication skills in English and ideally a good command of German
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to project meetings or other events
- Experience with software analysis tools, regarding performance as well as correctness of codes, is desirable
- Experience in GPU-based scientific modeling and simulations is desirable
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change. We support you in your work with:
- The opportunity to be part of a challenging large-scale, multidisciplinary European Research Infrastructure project with 16 partners in eight countries
- A diverse range of activities in an interdisciplinary, international research and support group and a friendly work environment
- Excellent infrastructure of one of the largest research centres in Europe
- Further development of individual strengths through a wide range of training and qualification opportunities
- Options for flexible work schedule, support for child-care, suitable solutions for the individual life situation
- Extensive company health management
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours and 30 days of annual leave
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
We offer you an exciting and varied role. The position is initially for a fixed term of two years with possible long-term prospects. Salary and social benefits are in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD).
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
The job will be advertised until the position has been successfully filled. You should therefore submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to receiving your application via our Online Recruitment System!
Questions about the vacancy?
Get in touch with us by using our contact form. Please note that for technical reasons we cannot accept applications via email.