Senior Site Reliability Engineer (f/m/d) at ioki GmbH (Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland)
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-12-10 05:01:28
Are you interested in shaping the future of mobility? Then come join us! At ioki we work towards mobility concepts that serve as a supplement to public transport, such as mobility analytics, autonomous driving and especially, demand responsive transportation services. We combine innovative and existing concepts to connect people and restore lost living space. With decades of experience provided by our parent company Deutsche Bahn and openness of an agile start-up, we are unique as ioki. Fascinated by the developments in the mobility industry? Then we should definitely meet! We at ioki are currently looking for you as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer (m/f/d) to join us for our team in Frankfurt am Main.
We are looking for Site Reliability Engineers with a focus on security to join our Engineering team, which builds the infrastructure and the platform that helps our customers launch and scale their mobility products. We are a team of ten implementing and managing ioki’s infrastructure, working closely with other departments, especially backend and intelligence. Our infrastructure-as-code codebases have seen a lot of production use already but are carefully maintained and free of technical debt. We’re constantly challenging and improving the security of our systems. Both from a technical as well as regulatory requirements. We’re ISO27001 compliant and committed to keeping agile processes and a lean mindset. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work closely within a team of engineers as well as security- and data protection experts. You will be responsible to keep the modern infrastructure that powers the ioki platform secure and scalableAs a member of the Site Reliability Engineering team, you will:
- Design and implement security guidelines and policies according to high technical standards as well as the requirements of ISO27001
- Deploy and automate a high availability infrastructure with Terraform, OpenStack and Saltstack
- Maintain and keep our high availability instances running
- Collaborate with other teams and software developers across Ioki to deliver the most stable and secure product for customers and passengers
- Uphold and improve DevOps and IT security standards, tooling and processes
- You enjoy and have experience in building, maintaining and securing modern cloud infrastructure
- You have knowledge in applied cryptography and security (e.g. cipher selection, protocol security, attack vectors, etc.)
- You understand networking protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, VPN, ARP)
- You enjoy deploying critical services in a high availability environment
- You want to contribute clean code to our infrastructure automation codebase
- You have the ability and willingness to learn quickly and in a self-guided way. While we already have a DevOps toolset and programming languages we use, experience with them is not a hard requirement. Much more than that, we care that you have general operations and software development skills, high standards and take pride in your work.
- You enjoy working with multiple people on the same codebase and tools, know what that takes and are open to sharing and improving our work together
- You want to take responsibility of your work and build sustainable solutions that stand the test of time
Nice to haves:
- You can implement security policies (according to ISO27001) and document them properly
- You understand relevant legal sections of German law (GDPR)
We do not expect you to bring all of these qualities with you. It’s fine to have more experience and expertise in one area, while missing something in another.
In a typical week you might:
- Spin up new instances via infrastructure as code (IaC) and automating the process in a peer-reviewed way (Terraform, Gitlab, SaltStack)
- Create and integrate new monitoring exporters that work with our existing Prometheus and Grafana stack to allow us to stay on top of what’s happening in our infrastructure
- Review our TLS cipher selection for best compatibility and security
- Implement or review architectural decision records in Markdown for introducing new technologies
- Improve our high-available PostgreSQL or Container clusters so that we can easily scale our infrastructure according to the increasing demands of our platform
- Discuss why $EDITOR is the best within a welcoming team :)
Our technologyWe use Gitlab, OpenStack, Terraform, SaltStack, Prometheus, Grafana to build and maintain our infrastructure on which the platforms is running. We support different platforms and code bases, written in Ruby on Rails, Python, NodeJS, all in their in up-to-date versions. Our favorite database is PostgreSQL, which we use together with PostGIS, and run in a high-available setup. Our message queue of choice is Apache Kafka. The platform and its applications are deployed with our custom deployment to our Docker Swarm cluster. Other tools we use are HAProxy, OpenVPN, PowerDNS and Graylog. We constantly re-evaluate what tools are the right for our job, always keeping reliability in mind.
How we work in the Site Reliability Engineering teamioki is a product company that places high value on crafting quality software. In our technology teams our mission is to create real world value and to have fun doing it. We're practicing modern software development in a casual environment. We value clean code, automated tests, refactoring, continuous integration, shipping early and shipping often. Other modern best practices like version control go without saying.We believe that to build high quality software and a reliable infrastructure, we need the best tools possible. Our IT governance allows us to use what we think helps us best to achieve our goal of creating an excellent product.
We're constantly trying to get better at what we do, sharpen our tools, and learn to get better at developing the best possible software. We support each other in our work and our individual paths. Software and infrastructure development for us is a collaborative process that can only succeed in an atmosphere in which we can experiment, fail and learn, and help each other get better at what we do. Code is not owned by a single person, but by the whole team. We use merge requests and extensive, respectful and friendly code reviews to ensure that the code we ship measures up to our own standards. We host and visit multiple user groups and conferences. Because we know how important it is to always seek better ways to develop software, each employee at ioki has a budget they can use for learning and self-improvement, whether that means visiting a conference or video courses.
Building software and reliable infrastructure is our craft. We take pride in our work. We have a happy and easy-going atmosphere in which we can passionately discuss tools, editors, keyboards and programming languages, always with a wink and a smile.