Web Developer at Helmholtz-Zentrum hereon GmbH (Geesthacht, Deutschland)
Location: Geesthacht, Deutschland
Type: Full Time
Created: 2022-02-12 05:00:22
Cutting-edge Researchfor a Changing World
Reference code: 50076419_2 – 2022/MB 2Commencement date: as soon as possible for 1 year (option to extend by 1 year at KIT)Work location: Geesthacht (near Hamburg); if extended, KarlsruheApplication deadline: March 13th, 2022
Electronic lab notebooks (ELNs) are a common tool for research data documentation. The huge variety of research fields and respective discipline-specific ELNs necessitates communication between the ELNs for successful interdisciplinary research collaborations, which has not yet been solved in a comprehensive way. At the Institute of Membrane Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon two open-source ELNs are being used: Herbie, an ELN tailored to the needs of materials science and process engineering developed at the Institute of Metallic Biomaterials at Hereon, and Chemotion, an ELN for research in synthetic chemistry and corresponding characterization of molecular properties developed at KIT. The process of membrane modification requires an intensive alternating (meta)data exchange between Chemotion and Herbie.
The goal of this position is the development of a data transfer mechanism between the two ELNs including the actual implementation in both systems for the concrete use case of membrane modification. Additionally, this approach should be generalized via the description of a general guideline and the integration of available standards so that it can be adapted to other ELNs.
This position is limited to one year, the place of work is the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon in Geesthacht. It is part of the two-year Helmholtz-Metadata-Collaboration (HMC) project “ELN-DIY-Meta” and includes the option to be extended by another year at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) Campus Nord.
For further information please contact:Catriona Eschke (Hereon, Institute of Metallic Biomaterials) [email protected]
Equality of opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position.
- comparing both ELN’s structure, architecture, and metadata representations
- developing a discipline-specific metadata exchange format
- extending APIs for both ELNs to facilitate data exchange
- integrating imported data into the data structure and making these data accessible to users
- generalization of the metadata import for other ELNs via general guideline
- MSc or PhD degree in computer science or related disciplines
- experience in web development
- ability to tackle complex problems and to think outside the box
- willingness to closely collaborate with the involved teams at Hereon and KIT
- experience in designing and programming software interfaces
- interest in polymer chemistry
- fluency in spoken and written English
- German language skills
- willingness to move to Karlsruhe after one year, if desired to extend the contract at KIT
We offer you
- multinational work environment with over 1,100 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- childcare services
- Welcome office
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number 2022/MB 2.