Senior Software Engineer at uSwitch (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2018-06-16 04:01:16
We are seeking high-performing, experienced Senior Software Engineers to join our dedicated team based in Central London.
The initial steer of this role is to lead our site replatforming effort away from a Perl monolith into smaller, discrete services, adopting best practices around architecture, software engineering and devops.
Working closely with the Principal Engineers and Software Engineering Leads, a key part of this role is the analysis of legacy codebases to rebuild into more maintainable, extensible services with an emphasis on ownership and devops culture.
Additionally, using a broad set of technical skills, you will:
- Write maintainable, tested, clean code
- Design higher level architecture across Zoopla and the wider ZPG group.
- Communicate complex technical ideas to engineers and stakeholders
- Work with others on analysis of large legacy systems
- Drive organisation wide best practices and be passionate around engineering excellence
Some technology currently in use: AWS, Perl, NodeJS, MySQL, Memcached, Gearman, Jenkins, Python, Docker. Some of the systems that need building could include APIs that drive our website, back-end tools, intensive/distributed data processing, search technology and complex valuation algorithms
- Ability to engineer large, complex systems in collaboration with others on best practice architecture
- Reading legacy code and talking to stakeholders to drive out and ultimately document system behaviour
- Proficiency in various RDBMS and NoSQL
- Knowledge of a Lucene based search engine (Elastic Search / Solr)
- Ability in at least one of the following: Python, Golang, Java, NodeJS, Clojure, Ruby
- Understanding of Agile methodologies and practices (iterative development, Lean,emergent design)
- Perl knowledge
- Experience in breaking down large legacy systems