Full Stack Ruby Developer at OppLoans (Chicago, IL)
Location: Chicago, IL
Type: Full Time
Created: 2019-07-29 05:00:43
We are OppLoans Growth with a Purpose
OppLoans is a growing, socially responsible, and profitable FinTech company that is one of the highest-rated and best-in-class online finance platforms and service providers in the industry. OppLoans offers consumers a simple and responsible source of funding when faced with financial emergencies. We continue to experience growth year over year with profitable returns each year. Employees have an opportunity to make an immediate effect in a growth stage company. The
OppLoans technology organization is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We are an Agile organization exploring open creativity while always reflecting on our work and aiming to improve. As individuals we are unafraid to speak up, and as a team we reward the best ideas and support each others successes. We are looking for engineers who are excited by the opportunity to build something special that breaks the status quo of FinTech.
What you get to do:
The Software Engineering team contributes to the development and improvement of the services we provide for our customers. Reporting to the manager of back-end software engineering, you will develop back-end services used across our entire technology platform.
- Contribute to the development of our product portfolio built with Clojure, Amazon Web Services, and PostgreSQL.
- You will partner with business and technical professionals to ensure the code is well designed within an Agile framework to contribute to architecture and development environments.
- We want you to grow your skills with us! Start on or before 11/21/2019 and we’ll bring you to Clojure/conj 2019 along with our other developers. Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books, and materials.
- Mentor other junior members as the team grows.
What you will bring to the team:
- Experience interpreting and refining our goals into actionable requirements, having delivered large-scale projects from concept to production.
- At least 2 years of experience using a modern programming language. You’re already proficient in Ruby but lack of it won’t automatically disqualify you; our collective team background includes Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++. Show us you solved non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we’ll be interested in you.
- 1+ years of experience developing systems with Amazon Web Services technologies; Lambda/API Gateway experience a big plus.
- 1+ years of experience with Test-driven Development (TDD).
- 1+ years of experience building Restful API’s and consuming 3rd party API’s.
- Experience with Terraform, Kubernetes and Docker a plus if you have it. Git experience preferred
Why OppLoans? Employees Love Working Here With a dynamic startup culture and great benefits, we’ve attracted top talent and boast one of the most engaged offices in the country. In 2019, we were named the 4th fastest growing company in Chicago by Crain’s Chicago Business, received the 86th spot on the Deloitte Fast 500, and are named one of the best companies to work for in the nation by Glassdoor two years in a row. Check out our Glassdoor reviews to see why our employees love us!
Customers love our product OppLoans is committed to delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. Don’t believe us? See what our customers are saying on Google and the BBB! We were also named a number one personal lender by Lending Tree, and a “Leader in Quality and Innovation” by the Center for Financial Services Innovation (FinX).
OppLoans is an equal opportunity employer. OppLoans does not discriminate against any applicant for employment due to age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, veteran status, or any other protected class. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to support you inside and outside of work as you grow your career with us. Some of these benefits include a 401(k) matching program, paid vacation policy, free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee Only Plans, dental, vision, and accident coverage, free gym membership, discounted Divvy memberships & ClassPass fitness classes, CTA and Metra benefit programs, casual dress policy, subsidized daily lunches, a stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and drinks, an employee and peer recognition program, and intramural sports leagues.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millenium Park and Lake Michigan, with rooftop access.