Manager, Corporate Applications (COTS, Middleware, .net, C++, web technologies) at British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) (Vancouver, BC, Canada)
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Type: Full Time
Created: 2020-01-28 05:00:17
Reporting to the Director, Applications & Operations, the Manager, Corporate Applications is responsible for providing technical leadership and ensuring application services and products are developed and delivered with high levels of quality and performance. S/he will build and manage an experienced team of senior developers and analysts, provide day-to-day direction to the team, and works closely with other groups in an Agile hybrid environment to advance strategic priorities and continually improve services.
The position will be based in Victoria.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years of experience leading and managing a high performing technical team
- A minimum of 3 years of experience with application development or application architecture, including experience with COTS and custom systems
- Strong understanding and experience with SDLC and ITIL processes
- Experience with the following technologies and tools: Middleware (WebSphere, WebLogic, MQ-Series, MuleSoft), Databases (Oracle DB2, SQL, MS SQL Server)
- Experience in cloud technologies such as Azure and AWS, performance and network analysis tools
- Able to closely work with Security, Infrastructure and Application Architects
- Experience with product ownership, Agile methodologies and DevOps practices
- Knowledge of and/or experience with complex financial/investment applications and systems
- Excellent customer-service, collaboration, listening, communication and problem-solving skills
- Professional development courses or certifications are an asset, including the Canadian Securities Course (CSC), ITIL, TOGAF, and Agile
- Collaborates with team members and clients to understand the objectives, needs, issues and application portfolio of the assigned customer area(s)
- Collaborates with team members and other Technology Teams on application roadmap planning, development, and implementation to ensure alignment, collaboration and coordination
- Builds and manages a skilled team of software engineers and analysts and provides the technical leadership, mentoring and coaching to create a culture of accountability and innovation
- Manages the delivery of application products and services including design, analysis, development, testing, and troubleshooting of solutions
- Researches complicated investment problems and works with clients and others to define design specifications and business solutions
- Presents solutions to clients, both verbally and by means of documentation, to gain consensus for application enhancements and problem fixes
- Ensures that solutions comply with Technology standards and corporate requirements, including compliance with the change control process for software releases and application upgrades
- Communicates solutions and programming standards, methods and procedures and ensures all application development and design comply with standards
- Interacts with multiple vendors, suppliers and contractors, proactively identifies risks and issues, and removes barriers that impedes progress and responsiveness
- Drives resolution of product issues end-to-end by coordinating resources, identifying resolution paths and providing relevant and clear communications to stakeholders
- Determines the objectives and priorities of the team, and directs the development and execution of business plans, operations plans, programs, projects and other initiatives
- Establishes and reviews the KPIs, metrics and reporting used to track, optimize and communicate team progress and performance outcoCreates a supportive and healthy work environment within the Department by ensuring effective communication, promoting teamwork, providing opportunities for staff involvement in planning, and recognizing employees' contributions and achievements
- Manages the financial resources within the overall allocated budget for assigned areas. Monitors financial reporting and status within the department and directs corrective action as needed
- Maintains current expert knowledge in the field by reviewing relevant materials and journals and maintaining appropriate professional and external contacts
- Undertakes special projects or assignments as required
- Performs other related duties as required
Effective performers act with the future in mind. They plan for and make decisions within the framework of the organization’s strategic intent. They know and understand the factors influencing strategy. They consider future impact when weighing decisions.
Effective performers tap the full potential of employees in order to meet the corporate goals. They view accomplishments as results achieved through the efforts of others and of teams, rather than through singular effort. They appropriately delegate both responsibility and accountability and constantly and consistently provide mentorship.
Effective performers are skilled at directing, persuading, and motivating others. They are able to flex their style to direct, collaborate, or empower as the situation requires. They have established a personal power base built on mutual trust, fairness, and honesty.
Organization & Planning
Effective performers have strong organizing and planning skills that allow them to be highly productive and efficient. They manage their time wisely and effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks. They follow through on tasks to ensure changes in technology are communicated effectively.
Effective performers maintain appropriate focus on outcomes and accomplishments. They are motivated by achievement, and persist until the goal is reached. They convey a sense of urgency to make things happen. They respect the need to balance short- and long-term goals. They are driven by a need for closure.
Effective performers clearly and articulately convey technical and other information both orally and in writing to others in a manner appropriate to the listener. They write clearly, accurately and concisely, composing project, technical and other required documentation as required.
Effective performers see the organization as a series of integrated and interlocking business processes. They understand how their work connects with and affects other areas of the organization.
Effective performers are adaptable. They embrace needed change and modify their behaviour when appropriate to achieve organizational objectives. They are effective in the face of ambiguity. They understand and use change management techniques to help ensure smooth transitions.
Effective performers establish and proactively maintain a broad network of relationships (e.g. colleagues, co-workers, vendors, suppliers, etc.). They value these relationships and work effectively across the organization by maintaining positive working relationships with peers and others.