Engineering Manager at Zava (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2020-02-14 05:00:12
We have an opportunity for an Engineering Manager to lead and support our engineers, encouraging them to utilise best practice engineering processes, tools and techniques and deliver top quality technical solutions.
What can you expect from working with us?
- Opportunity to drive our technological direction - We have started building our future platform but still have lots of systems to design, build and operate. You will play a key role in deciding when to build, buy or throw away, so you can expect to try new things, take responsibility for big ideas and help shape the team to deliver them.
- Chance to influence the future of healthcare - It is through technology that Zava has been able to make efficiency gains in the healthcare sector. To continue pushing boundaries and expand the company, our technology needs to evolve and grow and you will play a significant role in deciding what we do next.
- Adaptability - We apply a composable approach to system design. It allows us to experiment with different solutions, connecting various parts of our system in different ways to unlock new functionalities. This approach also means we can make each part of our system easily and safely modifiable.
- Agile, cross-functional working - We work in autonomous teams comprising of Product Owner, UI / UX Designers, QA, Front and Back End Engineers. Depending on the mission, we also embed or collaborate with others from across the business such as Infrastructure Engineers, Data Analysts, Clinical, Marketing and Legal.
- Competitive salary, flexible working and other benefits - aside from salary we offer a company-wide bonus scheme, training budget, 10% R&D and learning time and flexible working (working pattern can be discussed). Our brand new, central London office has excellent transport links and every day we get free breakfast, fresh fruit and hot drinks, including amazing coffee served by our friendly barista. We’re also a dog friendly office.
Day-to-day, the work will encompass:
- Line management - Managing engineers from one or more of our cross-functional teams, you will establish great working relationships and help create a positive, collaborative and supportive working environment. You will be accountable for working closely with your direct reports to understand their career objectives, identify development opportunities and establish their career path.
- Mentoring, guiding and coaching - Using your knowledge, experience and excellent judgement, you will develop strategic thinking in the team, supporting engineers in making decisions, removing blockers and clarifying priorities. You will assist the team to overcome challenges (technical and otherwise) and address them through mature, open discussion that avoids conflict and focuses on resolution.
- Delivering new products and services - Providing a positive contribution to establishing product and engineering roadmaps, you will support the Product Owners and Agile Coach in the timely delivery of new products and services. You will encourage engineers to utilise an MVP approach, rapid iterative deliverables and contribute beyond just technical delivery,.
- Influencing processes and best practices - You will proactively look to improve the tools our teams work with and research and adopt new technologies that allow us to stay ahead of the curve. Using your knowledge of different tools and processes (including concepts like BDD and TDD), you will help the team to translate ideas into features, reduce complexity and ensure that the right people are involved before delivery commences.
- Excellence and quality - Ensure the applications developed under your watch have sound, well architected principles that consider scale, resilience, security, cost, operability and legal risks.
- Hands-on development - While we’re not expecting you to spend all your time writing code, you will need to ensure application deployments go smoothly, identify opportunities to improve systems and processes and when required, tackle tasks yourself.
- Recruitment - Working alongside other Engineering, Product and UX managers you will identify gaps in skills, delivery and strategy and be actively involved in organisational design, the interviewing and hiring of new team members.
- Ownership and accountability - You take ownership for overall team performance and happiness along with the applications and services your team provides. You will hold yourself and the team accountable for architectural decisions, timely delivery and be prepared to fail fast, learn and progress.
For this role you need to have experience with:
- Managing, developing and building new and existing engineering teams
- Direct line management - establishing team and individual objectives encouraging technical and interpersonal development
- Critical thinking and utilising data to make informed decisions on the development and improvement of features and services
- Operational management of applications and services your teams develop
- Developing applications for a Cloud environment (we use AWS)
- Agile/lean working practices (we use Kanban)
- Continuous integration and deployment processes and supporting tools as well as iterative delivery
It would also be advantageous to have experience in:
- A healthcare environment or a highly regulated / legislated industry
- BDD and Domain Driven Design
- Tools such as Git, Serverless, Docker/Linux Containers, ELK Stack and NewRelic