Senior Database Engineer at MessageBird (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Type: Full Time
Created: 2020-02-22 05:00:12
MessageBird is a Cloud Communications Platform as a Service (CPaaS) company for SMS, Voice and Chat communications that connects businesses to 7 billion phones worldwide. We’re one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world and we’re looking for a highly-skilled, self-motivated Senior Database Engineer who finds joy in automating our database infrastructure to help us scale all over the world.
You will be a key part of the Engineering team, working closely with the wider team to design and implement highly available and scalable database solutions, whilst also ensuring sufficient monitoring and alerting solutions are implemented and maintained.
In return, you’ll gain access to one of the most fun, open, and ambitious groups of people working in Amsterdam. We push each other to be our ultimate best and are the kind of company that will make you feel happy getting out of bed to come to work every morning.
- Build, scale, and administer database (foremostly MySQL) infrastructure with a focus on the performance, availability and growth needs of the company.
- Improve and optimise database administration and management with coding and automation.
- Support day-to-day operations and escalations of the database systems.
- Enable the development teams to provision automatically database infrastructure that allows release & deployments to take place without any hassle
- Ensure appropriate availability, reliability, and scalability of the database infrastructure
- Keep our production infrastructure up-to-date, secure and running
- Participate in the incident management process
- Engaging in knowledge transfer across the engineering team
- Advise on engineering standards, procedures, methods, tools, and techniques
Skills and Qualifications
We are looking for Senior Database Engineer who is experienced in cloud deployments, containers, configuration management and/or infrastructure automation. You love to build and operate database infrastructure solutions that drive crucial functionality. You're passionate, collaborative and self-motivated. And enjoy solving challenges and working on complex problems.
- 5+ years of experience administering MySQL databases
- Programming skills in one of the following languages is essential; PHP, Golang, Ruby, Python, Java, and/or C#
- Experience with replication, failover and disaster recovery in a globally distributed environment
- Experience optimising database management through tooling and automation.
- You understand scalability challenges and performance of a distributed database infrastructure
- You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems.
- Proficiency in Linux and in at least one scripting language
- Knowledge of cloud-based platforms and infrastructure (Google and AWS) is nice to have but not essential
- Experience with instrumentation and monitoring of, and alerting on, the performance of database infrastructure using monitoring tools.
- Prior experience of designing, deploying, and scaling production infrastructure for consumer and enterprise facing products
- An exceptionally bright, talented and fun bunch of colleagues, hailing from more than 40 countries.
- Employee Stock Option Plan: we are all owners and shareholders of our company - MessageBird’s success is in our hands!
- Serious sustenance: Our private chefs pamper us with beautiful lunches and great food all day long.
- Weekly kickboxing, pilates and boot camp classes at our office (on the rooftop in summer!).
- Rest up with 25 days’ holidays per year.
- Pension Scheme: we contribute to the planning of your golden years.
- We contribute to your commute between home and work every day.
- MessageBird swag to keep you looking fresh in summer, and feeling warm in winter.
- The occasional company-wide gathering and team outings. We love spending time together!
- Relocating? We support you and your family through the process of moving.
- Dutch language course for our international Birds, organised by us!
Work with us and build the data-driven telecom company of the future! MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you meet these requirements, apply! We look forward to your application letter and resume.