Senior Backend Developer at Nexkey (San Mateo, CA)
Location: San Mateo, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2020-11-17 05:01:03
Nexkey is a multiple award-winning IoT tech startup company in Silicon Valley focused on designing access control devices for the SMB market and beyond. How we access physical spaces hasn’t changed or significantly improved for hundreds of years – we still use keys. Nexkey is the first company on the market to resolve the issue of providing “keyless” access to ANY physical space (not just doors!) with the advent of their three industry-changing wireless products that have completely revolutionized the access control space. What makes the company a unique differentiator in the market? Other companies focus on designing “smart locks” for homes and apartments in the consumer market, while others focus on wireless devices specifically for large enterprises that are cost-prohibitive, have a lengthy install-time and require traditional hard-wiring. Nexkey has designed commercial-grade access control solutions that install in minutes, are wireless (no costly hard-wiring required) and are highly-affordable at only 30% cost of other comparable products. Nexkey is at the forefront of a massive market opportunity to improve how people around the world access any kind of physical space beyond just doors.
Nexkey is seeking a Senior Backend Developer to add to its Software team. As a Senior Backend Developer, you will work closely with Nexkey's Mobile, Web, and Firmware developers and report directly to the Head of Software. Critical to this role is the ability to make sound product and architectural decisions while working autonomously. You should have solid skills in problem solving, self-guided research, and excellent communication. The ideal candidate has proven experience building a modern, rock-solid, scalable backend. You should enjoy creating new features to delight our customers and designing the server-side architecture for our innovative access control platform.
- Take ownership of the Nexkey backend
- Build, Maintain, and Deploy a bulletproof backend environment to serve our customers who rely on Nexkey around the clock.
- Design robust APIs that enable Nexkey’s mobile and web clients to reliably and quickly communicate with the database.
- Apply best practices and security measures to protect our data and that of our customers.
- Support third party integrations via an external API
- Responsible for managing the database
- Review requirements, specifications and technical design documents to provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Manage the full life-cycle software development
- Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured test plans and test cases
- Passion for Backend development and cloud-based infrastructure
- Excellent communication skills
- Must have programming experience with NodeJS
- Must have experience with RESTful API design/architecture
- Must have experience with MongoDB data stores and designing relational data models
- Must have 5+ years of experience working in a Backend Software Development role
- Must have BS degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Prefer experience building API-based integrations with other cloud servies like G Suite, Okta, OneLogin, Slack, etc.
- Prefer experience with log/data analysis pipelines and backend services for mobile applications
- Prefer experience with deploying and maintaining software services within public cloud environments, particularly AWS services such as ECS, WAF, Load Balancing, Security Groups, DNS Management EC2/VPCs, Docker, New Relic / CloudWatch / Scalyr / other monitoring services
- Knowledge of Linux fundamentals including bash / command-line
Nexkey is a smart, dedicated, and agile team. Most of the time you’ll see everyone with all-hands on deck working on the next big feature, or huddled in a conference room discussing opportunities to redesign processes that improve our customer loyalty and experience. We are obsessed with our products, and passionate about changing the access control industry. We are a team that likes to have fun together, whether it’s in-office events or grabbing lunch or Happy Hour drinks in one of the many amazing spots around downtown San Mateo.
We are looking for people that promote and set the example for what it means to be a team player, and communicate with everyone in a way that promotes trust and respect across the board. You will have an opportunity to make a huge impact right away, and help create an inspiring and engaging culture for the company. If these values coincide with what you’re seeking, then we would love to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER CLAUSE
We value a diverse workplace. Nexkey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Your age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or any other applicable legally-protected characteristics make no difference to us. If you are smart, good at what you do, and want to work hard to build innovative software and products that will revolutionize the digital identity and access control industry then come as you are!
Nexkey will not pay a fee to any employment, staffing agency or third party for the referral of candidates for this, or any, open position unless the agency or third party has signed a formal agreement by an authorized member of the Human Resources department, or the CEO. Unsolicited resumes from said agencies or third parties of any kind will become the property of Nexkey and will be considered gratuitous, no-fee referrals.