Advocate Developer - shape how Home Office technical teams engage and evolve at UK Home Office (Croydon, UK)
Location: Croydon, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-01-14 05:01:02
UK Home Office develop and maintain over 500 services that have millions of users.
Our team design and build solutions to help people prove their identity or apply for visas or working on the critical IT systems that support policing and counter terrorism and help protect UK borders. Our success in this role depends on our ability to exploit the latest technologies tools and approaches to create leading-edge, world class solutions whilst ensuring they are secure and resilient.
We have a number of initiatives coming together which are laying the basis for our future operating model. We’re bringing product-centric development and site reliability engineering together into a new portfolio called Shared Application Services (SAS). This will involve growing a team of 350 people over the next few years, this is a real greenfield development opportunity! As our Advocate Developer (also know as Lead Software Engineer - Community Engagement) you will have a central role in the success of this operating model.
Guide technical teams to be the best they can be
Do you enjoy engaging with teams, helping them solve problems and sharing technical approaches?
If so this role would be very interesting as is not primarily a technical delivery role but focused on building relationships, supporting and maintaining contact with development leads of high-quality software.
The objective is to understand how the team and project/programme is delivering in the context of our preferred model. You'll be helping to support and move our delivery to where we want it to be in terms of tools, technology, process, guidance, standards and people.We are driving for clean, digital first, user-centred agile delivery – so you will need to understand those principles.
What you'll bring
You’ll be joining a growing software engineering community and you’ll be passionate about building and leading great teams within that community with an enthusiasm to research and learn new programming tools and techniques. You’ll have experience developing applications and familiarity with:
- modern programming languages like Java/node.js/C#/python - We will not be looking for a particular technology stack in this role, but you will need to be able to understand all corners of our estate from a technology and architecture perspective
- modern software engineering technical concepts, tools and methods and the way in which these are implemented
- how to build strong working relationships and work with multiple teams
- agile development using continuous integration principles
- the ability to quickly comprehend new technical topics and help refine technical roadmaps and strategies
What we offer
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality.
- agile principles
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- pairing smartly
We also offer
- 34 days leave including public holidays, rising further withservice
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of about 27%
- training and development opportunities
- interest free season ticketloan
- an in-year bonusscheme
- a culture encouraging inclusion and diversity