Software Engineer at Acolyte Group (Hereford, UK)
Location: Hereford, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:01:31
JOB PURPOSETo design, implement and support software and system solutions that meet the needs of allpay.
- Create, maintain and support software applications.
- Provide support, assistance and consultancy to other departments within allpay.
- Work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Work on systems that process billions of pounds worth of transactions per year, used internally and externally by around 180 staff, 800 clients and 5 million customers.
- Use specified design patterns and adhere to coding practices.
- Assist in the determination of operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposing solutions.
- Diagnose and implement features and bug fixes in large, multi-tiered systems.
- Coordinate with tech leads and software engineers working on related deliverables.
- Assist in communicating ideas and developing strategy through presentations, demonstrations and specifications.
- Proactively recommend changes in policies and procedures.
ROLE OF DEPARTMENTThe R&D Department write and maintain software for use by internal and external users on a variety of platforms and architectures including Web and Windows.R&D provides technical support, consultancy and analysis services to other departments within allpay to improve processes, procedures and effectiveness.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Assist in the requirements gathering process to help ensure requirements contain enough information and fact to support design, development and implementation.
- Identify areas for improvement in requirements and feed back to Tech Leads.
- Analyse Business Requirements and supporting information and produce a System Architecture document, Functional Specifications, Installation and Configuration and other documentation for each system.
- Participate in ‘Agile’ development team to develop software designs and specifications based on system level requirements and in accordance with defined development procedures.
- Actively participate in sprint and release planning, daily stand-ups and retrospectives.
- Design software that meets the requirements of the business and users with scope for extensibility, ease of maintenance, supportability and configuration.
- Perform internal to R&D, testing of all software components and end to end testing prior to testing by QA.
- Provide support, consultancy and assistance to colleagues and other areas within allpay as required.
- Provide estimates of work where required and work to agreed timescales and deadlines.
- Assist in developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Follow department policies, procedures and Software Development Lifecycle.
- Liaise with QA and or Project/Product Management to prioritise, resolve and manage defects.
- Commit to continuous improvement of self, team and allpay.
- Maintain and improve current skillset by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
- “The post-holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may be reasonably expected by the department manager”.
ADDITIONAL KEY DUTIES
- Assist as required with team administrative tasks.
- Assist as required with maintenance of personal desktop machine and departmental servers and equipments.
- Participate in the code review process.
KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED TO DO THE JOB
- Experience of using object oriented programming languages.
- Knowledge of scripting or interpreted languages.
- Experience of using SQL Server or equivalent directly via Management interface or software application.
- Ability to solve problems and provide workable solutions or workarounds.
- Ability to continually learn and adapt to new technologies and implement where suitable.
- Possess good knowledge of software and hardware environments including networking.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and able to handle and effectively prioritize multiple tasks under pressure.
- Flexible and adaptable to a changing working environment.