Senior Backend Engineer at Point Up Inc (San Francisco, CA)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:02:07
Point is a new kind of spending experience; one that rewards you for spending what you have, actively encourages you to avoid overspending, and never charges interest or hidden fees. We’re going after a multi-trillion dollar opportunity to deliver transparency and shake up the world of consumer payments.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our small but mighty team of passionate and collaborative folks. We just launched Point to the public in November and we’ve already been ranked as a top finance app in the App Store, processed millions in transaction volume, and cultivated an enthusiastic community of early adopters. Additionally, we're backed by top investors like Peter Thiel (Valar Ventures), Y-Combinator.
About the Role:
The Backend Engineer will be responsible for building the backend logic that powers new features. Potential examples: instant bank transfers, custom rewards — features that will enable Point to attract and retain more members.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Work to ensure integrations with key vendors are stable and reliable — our card issuer, card printer, identity verification vendors, Plaid, etc.
- Build scalable infrastructure that can handle very large amounts of data with low latency.
- Support testing processes and troubleshooting issues.
- 3+ years of experience as a Backend Engineer with at least 2 of them using Node.js, AWS, PostgresQL, and GraphQL.
- Previous understanding how to scale backend systems at a small start-up.
- A thoughtful approach to balancing moving quickly and cautiously by testing software before shipping — given the sensitive nature of our product we need to ensure Point is reliable and secure at all times.
- Spent time working in a senior engineer role but are still excited about being a core contributor to the codebase.
- Actually care about building a consumer product that has thoughtful and intuitive design across the stack — from mobile app UI to the database architecture.
We're built in:
- React Native
- Apollo Client (GraphQL)
- Jest testing framework
- Opportunity to be a part of a brand that is creating a new standard of financial services and entering at the ground floor of a fast growing, mission-driven company.
- Competitive salary, stock options, and 401K.
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision insurance).
- Unlimited vacation policy, paid company holidays, and WFH flexible. We shut down the office at the end of the year for a winter holiday.
- Free Point Card membership + 10,000 ($100) monthly points
- Monthly stipends for continuous learning, health & wellness, and commuting.