Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer at Contently (New York, NY) (allows remote)
Location: New York, NY
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:02:14
Contently is seeking a Senior Back-end Engineer to play an integral role in the planning and growth of our platform and engineering team. You’ll be working with a high IQ / high EQ, lean-but-mighty and growing Engineering team and brilliant Product team to understand, and solve the biggest challenges that world-class journalists and brands face to genuinely engage their audiences.
As the team grows, this person will act as the backend lead for our business. They have strategic vision and can take a high-level 1-3 year plan for growth at a business level and translate that into a technology roadmap. The ability to manage and simplify complexity is the hallmark of this role; working with this person should leave team members feeling like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they came into.
Upcoming initiatives include: intelligent/automated content ideation, content recommendation engines, and a new suite of content editing tools. This is in addition to supporting the broad Contently ecosystem of technology that powers our popular and existing workflow and analytics tools.
Beyond the obvious technical engagement and feature development, Contently offers something more rare for engineers. Our engineering department is dedicated to maintaining an environment in which learning, growth, exploration, and self-determination are not only accepted, but encouraged and enthusiastically pursued.
Contently was founded to create a better life for freelance content creators and we are focused on bringing the best possible content into the world. We are looking for dedicated and thoughtful individuals who want to have a real impact on the organization, the creators and the brands we work with, and their own technical aspirations.
What you'll do
- Guide the architecture of our Rails based back-end applications
- Migrate existing monolithic Rails server-side-rendered applications to APIs that power our front-end applications
- Creatively solve problems
- Work collaboratively with other developers, product managers and UX
- Produce solid, thoroughly tested features (including automated tests)
- Lead and help set the standards of best practices for productive software development
- Participate in code reviews
- Work closely with and mentor other engineers
Who you are
- 6+ years of professional software development experience
- You want to be part of a growing and entrepreneurial company with proven users and business model
- You want to learn more, build your experience, and contribute within a fast-paced agile environment
Required technical skills
- Ruby (v2.4+)
- Ruby on Rails (v5 and v6)
- SQL / Postgresql
- Distributed systems design
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Test-driven development
- Object-oriented programming
- Working with legacy code-bases
Bonus technical skills
- Apollo Graphql framework
- AWS cloud services
- Google cloud services
- TCP/IP Networking