Software Engineer at Flock Safety () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:02:18
Help us eliminate non-violent crime, one community at a time
Want to help build a company that’s improving our cities, solving crime, and protecting the privacy of individual citizens? Do you want to create the technology to make this possible?
Flock Safety exists to eliminate crime from our communities. We believe that safety starts, not when you enter your home or even your property, but when you enter your community. We are stronger when we all work together, and that's why Flock Safety developed technology specifically designed to help private citizens and local law enforcement work together to stop crime.
Flock is currently at an inflection point where people who join now will have a career defining opportunity. We are growing and well funded by top tier VCs: Initialized Capital, YCombinator, Matrix Partners, Bedrock Capital, and Founders Fund.
About the opportunity
This role falls in our Delivery Experience team, a newly formed small team for making our hardware as a service model a delightful customer experience. We build the software to ensure customers have cameras installed in optimal locations and any maintenance is a positive touchpoint.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Own features across the entire stack: backend, frontend, data stores – the whole shebang (#!)
- Build internal workflows to manage our fleet of cameras at scale - We process over 20M images daily in real time
- Collaborate with Machine Learning and Hardware teams on multifaceted projects
- Work directly with Product to understand user needs and scope solutions
- Assess new technologies as needed for a task and make decisions balancing technical need and business impact
- Love writing code and have extensive experience doing so.
- Motivated by taking an unknown problem, sinking your teeth in, and coming up with a plan of attack.
- Desire to grow your role and have a direct influence on the growth of a young company.
- Interested in all aspects of the business, from direction to office space.
- Excited about working on a fast-paced, constantly evolving product.
- Able to crack a joke every now and then, even if you're the only one who laughs.
If you noticed, the above list says very little about specific coding skills. We believe the right person for this role is much more than a great engineer. But to get into the nitty gritty, currently our stack looks like:
- Typescript (Node) web services with a bit of Scala and Go in there as well as needed
- Swift(iOS) or Kotlin(Android) for mobile apps
- Postgres DB, but occasionally Redis or DynamoDB (use the right tool for the job)
- Kubernetes, Docker
- AWS (SQS, S3, etc)
Why join the Flock?
When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary, benefits, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth start up. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate crime, one neighborhood at a time.