Senior Data Engineer Growth at Blinkist (Berlin, Germany)
Location: Berlin, Germany
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-02-27 05:02:19
Team: Engineering & Data, Data Engineering
Location: Berlin or Remotely within similar Time Zone
Contract: Unlimited, Full Time
Apply by: Mar 8, 2021
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept our differences — we celebrate and support them. We are committed to provide equal employment opportunity and strongly encourage you to apply regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point after applying, please let us know.
We inspire people to keep learning.
Blinkist offers the best selection of nonfiction knowledge, all in an app that makes it easy to fit learning into your life. Through audio and text explainers called Blinks, original podcasts and author-driven content, Blinkist is on a mission to help people turn ordinary moments into extraordinary learning opportunities—anytime, anywhere.
Our Technology Stack
We use a variety of marketing channels for user acquisition. To make this as efficient as possible, we use data and automation. Our stack:
- Paid Marketing: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Outbrain, Taboola, Google, Quora, Apple Search, TV, Radio, Podcast, Influencers, & Affiliate
- Attribution: Adjust
- Payments: Recurly, Stripe, Paypal, App Stores
- Tracking: Piwik for Web & In-House Event Tracking for Mobile
- Data Lakehouse: AWS S3, Redshift Spectrum, Redshift
- Transformation: Matillion ETL
- Analysis, Visualization & Storytelling: Periscope Data / Sisense, Amplitude, Jupyter Notebooks, Streamlit
What You’ll Do
As Senior Data Engineer – Growth, you collaborate with Data Analysts, Scientists and other stakeholders to move the levers of growth one at a time – from the top of the funnel by improving our spend strategy to iterating on the subscription flow in-app. Day-to-day, you ensure that marketing, revenue, and attribution data make it to our dashboards and that stakeholders can rely on these insights. You model and continuously expand an efficient marketing data mart.
- You pull raw data from our data lake-house, create a data model, and build ETLs to calculate core metrics reliably and efficiently.
- You develop and maintain integrations to marketing channels including data sources that feed the marketing data mart.
- You continuously improve performance of ETLs, warehouse queries, and reduce turnaround time – be it in your daily reporting or by integrating new growth channels.
- You look into legacy technical debt in the data landscape and re-platform / re-engineer them to strengthen our data foundation.
- You proactively identify data issues, investigate the root cause, and solve them.
- You are an ambassador for data driven decision making to marketing.
To be successful in this role, you should have solid experience in data modeling, building, and optimizing ETLs. Ideally, you worked with performance marketing campaigns, attribution, and revenue data. You are in – or on track towards – a senior role. In a fast-paced company, this usually equates to 5+ years of experience.
- Expertise with Python or Typescript (but we also love Ruby, Java, or similar)
- Hands-on experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- Experience with marketing data, preferably within a cross-functional, agile environment
- Advanced analytical foundation: Have worked with cloud native databases (Redshift, Aurora or similar), advanced SQL skills, as well as experience working with data modeling and dashboarding tools
- Strong critical thinking and a result-driven mindset – You constantly challenge the status quo and want to come up with innovative and elegant solutions to improve engineering delivery and output to stay ahead of the market.
- Carrying a dev-ops mindset into data operations
We created our own Blinkist Operating System that grows along with us and fosters a unique company culture valuing empowerment, accountability, personal development, direct communication, and transparency. We support each other and carve out opportunities for you to grow. We embrace a hybrid way of work where you can choose to work from home or the Blinkist office.
- Find yourself trusted and valued by your workplace – We truly want to support each other and carve out opportunities for you to grow in your skillset and career. At Blinkist, leadership is a sparring partner, not a micro manager.
- Opportunity to have an impact – Own your field and make key decisions that impact the future of the company.
- More than perks – Get yearly public transport passes to get around town hassle-free. We offer our team perks that don't try to keep you at the office, and can be enjoyed on your own time.
- Work wherever you like – Decide on your hours and work from home or remotely whenever you like. We have a beautiful open office in Berlin Neukölln as well.
- Settle in – We help with relocation and work permits to put your mind at ease when joining us in Berlin.
- Take time to recharge – Get 30 vacation days per year, national holidays on top!
- Always Learning – Benefit from company-wide professional learning & development budget with team-based training and coaching, as well as a yearly book allowance to expand your knowledge!
- Environmentally conscious ****– We track and take actions on our carbon footprints. Work with a company where climate action is seen as a responsibility, and act now, together with us.
Please apply online for this position by March 8th, 2021. Your contact person is Kinga. We can't wait to hear from you!