Senior Developer - Building better public services for UK Citizens at UK Home Office (Croydon, UK)
Location: Croydon, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-03-02 05:01:29
Build services that support and protect all UK citizens
We are at the start of a really interesting journey! We’re bringing product-centric development and site reliability engineering in house, this will involve growing our team by 350 people. We are building a diverse and inclusive engineering community with 2 strands for progression; engineering management and technical leadership. If you love focusing on technical challenges and want the opportunity to work on large scale interesting projects using modern approaches, this is the role for you! As a Senior Developer you will be working with modern technologies in cloud -based environments with other skilled people, collaborating and making things work for our end users, in some cases that’s the public and for own people who work at the Borders, Immigration or protecting the public via the Police National Computer system.
- delivering secure, reliable and scalable software, and supporting your team with technical tasks when needed.
- evaluating and advising on design choices and ensuring that software is high quality and balances technical and business considerations
- defining and documenting test cases for new systems and maintaining live systems to ensure ongoing performance.
- acting as a digital ambassador, supporting recruitment, identifying good practices for Home Office to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g. through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc
- evolving new approaches/solutions with other professions through discoveries, maintaining a focus on development and deployment
- helping prioritise and direct technical tasks across your team, to balance new and live services.
What we offer
We know that great software requires great coding practices.Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality:
- test-driven development with a focus on automation
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- review code via pull requests
- infrastructure as code
What you’ll bring We’re looking for senior developers who are confident developing applications, passionate about making a difference and want to be involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution, and shipping whilst having experience: • programming focusing on frontend OR backend OR full stack with a background on some of the tech we use:
Back end – Java Spring, NodeJS, SQL and no SQL databases • Working within an Agile environment • Knowledge of full software delivery lifecycle • Knowledge and experience with continuous integration and continuous delivery • Environment – cloud-based approach (AWS, Azure, Docker and Kubernetes)
Some of the benefits our engineers love
- 35 days leave including public holidays, rising further withservice
- flexible working options to enable you to achieve the work life balance that right for you including part-time, flexi time and job sharing
- civil service pension with an average employer contribution of about 27%
- training and development opportunities
- interest free season ticketloan
- an in-year bonusscheme
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity