Senior Backend Developer (Remote) at Hypothesis.is () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-03-06 05:00:46
Location: Remote. Candidates must be located between UTC-6 and UTC+2 time zones.
Hypothesis is seeking a Senior Backend Developer to join our Product Delivery team. The person hired in this role will work to ensure that Hypothesis technologies and services support our vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
About the team
Hypothesis is a small mission driven, public benefit startup with strong financial backing. Our goal is to bring standards-based collaboration and conversation to the web at scale. We are currently ramping up to respond to high demand from stakeholders across the education and research marketplace as the world shifts permanently to a remote-first workflow.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. Though we operate remotely, we are a close-knit team that communicates via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will help build systems and APIs to support annotation of web pages and other media. You will focus on solving for user needs by contributing to backend systems and services. The following is a sampling of the technologies we currently use:
- Python, Pyramid, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch
- AWS, Docker, Terraform
This role reports to the Director of Engineering
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Demonstrate excellent proficiency with dynamic languages like Python
- Demonstrate proficiency with building and designing RESTful APIs
- Have familiarity with architectural patterns and tools used to build modern web applications
- Experience profiling and debugging web applications
- Experience working with developers of open source projects to resolve bugs or make improvements
- Have experience with the integration of data storage solutions using databases such as Postgres
- Worked with continuous integration and deployment systems, and have ideas about how to build and improve them.
- Have experience with remote work and understand the importance of good time management, self-motivation, and self-discipline as a remote worker.
- Have excellent documentation and verbal communication skills, and are able to collaborate and rally support within your team.
Does this sound interesting? Drop us a line to tell us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be great for Hypothesis. Resumes are helpful, but so are examples of your recent work. We can’t wait to hear from you!