Location: Sydney, Australia
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:00:46
- Full-time permanent role
- Based out of Sydney or Melbourne, Australia
- If overseas, apply now, get an offer and start when relocation is possible again
- Visa and relocation support available (subject to conditions)
- Simple hiring process: 3 interviews + code exercise
Write code day-to-day and upskill those around you
Do you enjoy coaching others and working with colleagues who help each other develop their skills every day? We partner with our clients to deliver projects and new product features every day, whilst helping to develop the skills, knowledge and capability of those around us in the team. You'll have the opportunity to work in Product Development teams in different domains, both greenfield products as well as evolving existing ones.
Through regular Learning Lunches, Technical Brown Bags, Software Crafters Meetups, Start of Week meetings, Team Offsites and other social and community events, our team learns and collaborates together and is always sharing knowledge and helping each other, both within Pragmateam, clients and the community.
To be successful in this role you must have an open mind to sometimes work with a language that is not your usual one and most likely consider yourself a polyglot, ie. someone who is happy to learn new languages or further develop their skills if needed for the task at hand. You must also love developing the skills of other software engineers and helping them improve their craft and capability. The ability and passion to coach others and make things a little bit better is part of the job, so having the empathy and soft skills to do it is important.
Why it's good…
- Opportunity to work across a variety of domains, with different problem spaces and technologies.
- Able to share your knowledge and develop the skills of those around you, whilst writing code and learning every day.
- Be a member of a cross-functional agile team delivering together end-to-end.
- Working in a stable product team (ie. we don't like pure project work) provides a lot of job satisfaction as you are an integral part of the product development process.
- We work in clients employing continuous delivery practices such as CI, automated testing and continuous deployment.
- We prefer to work for medium or small product companies instead of large enterprises, as it's easier to be set up for success, have a positive impact and influence.
- We choose our work and often say no, so people like the work that we do around here.
- Education & Work From Home budget of $4,000 that you manage yourself: decide if you want to go to a conference, spend it all on books or dedicate yourself to an online training course, all while having a professional, productive and comfortable setup for when you're WFH
- The 'team' in 'Pragmateam' does mean something: we are never by ourselves in clients so that we can support each other and deliver together.
- We are curious and have a culture of continuous improvement so we are always keen to learn more and improve ourselves and Pragmateam.
To be successful in the role you’ll have the following skills:
- Solid experience working in teams that use XP practices (eg. CI, TDD, pairing, small releases).
- Support and coach others as well as help teams improve and develop their capabilities, through pairing, Coding Dojos, Dev Guilds, Brown Bags, mentoring, influencing, 1-on-1's etc.
- Experience across the full tech stack with an interest in developing software both backend and front end (a bias to one side is normal and totally fine).
- Experience with TDD and the benefits of writing tests first before starting on your code.
- Solid experience refactoring code, ability to describe different refactoring techniques.
- Experience with Object Oriented programming and able to discuss design patterns.
- Passion for writing Clean Code, so everyone in the team can understand it.
- Awareness of distributed architectures and micro-services and interest to learn more.
Our Recruitment Process
- Phone interview (30-60 minutes)
- Test Coverage exercise (2-3 hours)
- Pairing + Tech Interview (60-90 minutes)
- Management Interview (60 minutes)
Interested? Apply below or you take a look further at Pragmateam here: https://pragma.team/