Principal Software Engineer, AWS, Nodejs, React, remote-friendly (UK) at Click Travel Ltd (Birmingham, UK) (allows remote)
Location: Birmingham, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:00:48
Salary ranges from £55,000 to £70,000 depending on experience.
As a Principal Engineer, with an eye for product development, you know the difference between building to learn and building to earn. If you are a strong collaborator, capable of lean delivery on outcomes, adapting your approach from experience of good and bad situations, we have a job opportunity for you.
What you’ll do
- Provide technical drive behind strategic product discovery
- Support teams to go from experiments and MVPs to fully fledged features
- Turn vague or ambiguous projects into concrete outcomes
- Identify and report on meaningful product metrics
- Spread DevOps and Cloud Engineering mentality and champion pragmatic quality
- Act as the voice of our technology platform in our roadmap and in communication with the rest of the business
- Craft and articulate technical strategy that ensures our tech stack evolves in ways that enables our award-winning product
How you'll be doing it
- Work with Product Managers on prototypes and MVPs that enable validation of experiments
- Use implementation approaches relevant to what you are building - or determine when it’s better to build nothing
- Data informed techniques to determine appropriate approaches
- Ensuring changes are available to customers as early as is responsibly possible
- You are actively looking for new technology and techniques that are relevant to moving our business forward, including areas that are not yet familiar to our business
- Use mentorship and technical coaching skills to support engineers around you
Skills and experience
- Experience building and operating full stack, distributed cloud based software spanning from the user facing features to datastores
- Working knowledge with Node.js and React, or similar, and other AWS serverless friendly technologies such as Lambda and DynamoDB
- Experience delivering technical projects in collaboration with Product Managers and Designers
- Can create collaborative written documentation and designs for other engineers and those in non-technical roles
- It would be nice if you have experience in build vs buy processes for software products
What we can offer you
An empowered working environment
- Flexible, remote first working - We have worked as a distributed company day to day for years. Colleagues across the business use Zoom, Slack, Miro and others in a constantly expanding toolkit. Meetings and collaboration are online by default - we even have teams experimenting with remote pairing tools.
- Strong ownership and open structure - We have a stable yet evolving tech stack directed by the people who are working on it. Everyone is free to drive change and introduce new ideas or tools to help increase our effectiveness as a department. We proactively work to ensure teams are not siloed and are working on the most impactful projects.
- Work flexibly - We work towards outcomes, so you can work in a way that balances with your life.
- Impact - We are a small product engineering team, so each colleague has the scope to be deeply involved in critical projects and deliver large outcomes for the company.
Benefits and personal development
- Competency driven personal development - Each person in our team is supported in their own personal development plan and encouraged to develop and challenge themselves through their work.
- Book club - We encourage our teams to read books together and use these to introduce new processes and ideas into the department.
- Parental leave, full sick pay, life assurance, holiday buy back scheme, discounted travel, pension, 1% charity time.
- Learning and development (coaching) training offered/courses.
- We have a office in Birmingham where you can work some or all of the time if you live within commuting distance.
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success.
What we require from you
- Located in UK
- Eligible to work in UK
Protecting and using your personal data responsibly is very important to us. To find out what happens to any personal data that you provide to us, or any that we may collect about you please read our Privacy Statement