Principal Frontend Software Engineer at Beamery (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:00:57
We're looking for a Principal Frontend Engineer to join our rapidly expanding engineering team. You will be part of the newly formed Core Frontend team who are defining Beamery’s next-generation UI architecture and creating and implementing the Beamery Design System.
As a part of the Enablement Branch, our mission is to provide a frontend platform that empowers full-stack teams in our Delivery Branch to continuously release value and deliver a delightful user experience through stellar UX performance, accessibility and aesthetic integrity.
You’ll work closely with all our full-stack teams to incrementally improve (and overhaul where appropriate) our core applications to create new build systems and tooling, enabling better user and developer experiences.
What you’ll get up to in the role...
- Set the strategy for the evolution of Beamery’s UI architecture
- Design, develop and roll-out a new design system to align with the company brand, modernise the UI and reduce the time to market for full-stack teams.
- Be an advocate for UI performance across the Beamery engineering, design and product teams, ensuring we always provide high quality, performant experiences to our users.
- Guide our full-stack teams to create accessible interfaces that meet WCAG 2.0 guidelines
- Ensure our build, deployment and tooling solutions offer a great developer experience allowing our full-stack teams to be as effective as possible
- Engage with Beamery’s front-end Engineers to gather feedback from them on pain points, opportunities and priorities for the Core Frontend team
We'd love to meet someone who has…
- 8+ years of hands-on experience as a UI Engineer developing high quality, performant user experiences
- Good understanding of the modern frontend toolset such as Webpack, NPM, Yarn, Storybook
- Developed interfaces that have met the WCAG 2.0 accessibility standard
- Good knowledge of the testing pyramid and real-world experience with modern frontend testing libraries or frameworks such as Cypress, Playwright, React Testing Library, etc.
- Experience in using software engineering practices such as TDD, pair programming, testing automation, code reviews, code refactoring, branch management (GitFlow) and CICD practices and tooling (i.e. GitHub Actions)
- A passion for the open web, emerging technologies and standards
- A collaborative working style, with a desire to mentor others
How will success be measured?
Here are some of the ways we measure success:
- How many full-stack teams use the Beamery Core Frontend Platform
- Application performance improvements measured for the three most frequently used UI screens:
- Time to interact
- Total number of requests
- Total payload size
- Number of UI screens meeting WCAG 2.0 A standard
- Number of defects (per Px severity)
- Time to production for new UI feature