Software Engineer (Flutter) at Memri B.V (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:01:04
Please feel free to apply even if you do NOT HAVE specifically Flutter experience!
Good experience in any similar language, plus openness to learn Dart/Flutter on the job counts as well.
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands (visa sponsorship) or remote (European time zones, flexible time possible).
WHO WE ARE
Memri as a technical product is an open source project that enables you to take control of your data by pulling it in from everywhere and storing it somewhere you control. Memri comes with various front-ends which you can use to view, edit, browse and search through your data. The indexers (rule-based or machine-learning models) automatically label and create relationships between your data.
We are organized as a values driven cooperative that prioritizes people and our planet over profit. We aim to have a global and positive impact on people’s lives by creating technology that works for people, instead of trying to extract data or money from them.
OUR TECH STACK
We use Rust for the backend, Flutter for Android, desktop and the web, Swift for iOS and Python for external micro-services.
We pick the best tool for the job, without being fanatics about any language or tool we use. We encourage following best practices and aim for improvement, not tech stagnation. We work hard to make things simple.
We are an international company, having people from the Netherlands, Costa Rica, Germany, Russia, France, Armenia, India and Poland, and working from all around the globe :)
The team currently consists of one Rust, one iOS and two Flutter developers. We also have a part-time community manager and tech writer. We also have other open positions for Rust, iOS and DevOps (tell your friends!).
WHAT YOU BRING
- Growth mindset, e.g. if you don’t know Dart/Flutter yet, be open to learn it
- [Bonus] Tech engagement with the open-source community, e.g. react to open issues, receive feedback in a friendly and efficient manner
- [Bonus] Experience in industry’s best practices: receive and provide code reviews, write documentation etc
- [Bonus] Experience in writing high-quality software, e.g. using CI, linters etc
- [Bonus] Experience working with docker[-compose]
- [Bonus] Experience working in open-source communities
- [Bonus] Knowing security primitives, e.g. symmetric/asymmetric encryption, containerization trade-offs. We don’t mind if you also know libsodium, ed25519, security architecture of other open-source projects, please surprise us :)
If you checkmark at least 4 of the items and you feel a connection to what we do and how we do it, do apply!
WHAT WE OFFER
- Work on something that puts people first. Instead of selling people’s private data to the highest bidder, you’ll be working on empowering the user to take control of their data
- Opportunity to work in an open-source project and to engage with the community
- Budget for education: conferences, books, courses and other resources to help you grow personally and professionally
- An environment where feedback is valued, asked regularly and acted upon, you can have impact from day 1
- We are a flat organization. Any opinion or approach can be challenged, even if it comes from the CEO, team lead, or any other person around. We have a concept of “deep democracy” where, even if a person is a minority in a vote, they are given space to explain and their opinion is taken into account
- We aim for full transparency, both information and decisions
- As an early organization we offer a competitive salary with a large stake in the future upside of our effort. Our leadership has successfully started and sold previous startups, and although we have chosen an approach that puts our values first, and profit second, we still expect a good future financial outcome as well.
- Possibility for part time work (and/or flexible hours if you need)
- Visa sponsorship if needed