Lead Software Engineer (.NET) - Fire and Motion Team - Australia at Octopus Deploy () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:01:13
The best product development job in the world? We think so.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. You will be working on Octopus Deploy, the most popular deployment automation tool in the world. This means everything you do will positively affect the lives of thousands of software developers and operations teams around the world.
You will join the "Fire and Motion" team that works on Octopus Server. We work Kanban style, flowing features and fixes from concept to the customer, inching the product forward every day. We work in 8-week cycles, focusing on directed work for 6-weeks, and "sharpening the saw" with undirected work for 2-weeks. We remove unnecessary obstacles so you can work directly with customers who are developers just like us. Our teams are software tradespeople who care about doing things right the first time. You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever-improving remote-first culture.
Working at Octopus may be different from any other job you’ve had before. In many companies, software engineers are treated as an expense to reduce or a revenue stream to increase. In contrast, Octopus is a product company built from the ground up by engineers, for engineers. At Octopus your effort will be appreciated because you are adding value to our products, which are our assets. Also, our customers are people just like us. This makes it easy to relate to our customers and understand what they care about most.
Octopus is not done. Many of us came to Octopus thinking “it does everything I want, how can I possibly help?” Continual changes in the software landscape present a constant stream of opportunities for us to explore. We will continue to make Octopus the best tool in its class by increasing the value Octopus offers, pushing into new territory beyond deployment automation, all the while making Octopus easier and more delightful to use for both simple and complex scenarios alike. If you like solving distributed computing problems, building delightful user experiences, or anything in between, you can do that with us.
Octopus is not a startup. We do not need venture capital, we have been a sustainably profitable business from day one. We care about building a sustainable company and we do this by helping customers succeed, leaving increased revenue as a happy byproduct.
A typical day might include
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
You will be a great fit for this role if
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade and .NET in particular.
- You are the go to person for performance problems, memory leaks or to solve the latest heisenbug.
- You are well versed in software design patterns and are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You understand and have implemented agile and lean methods.
- You have lead a team and the delivery of a significant software project.
- You can build a production vision based on the needs of multiple customers and can effectively communicate that vision.
- You are comfortable taking risks and diving in head-first with relatively little information and oversight.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
You will enjoy this role if
- You are a software consultant or contractor looking to invest your effort into a successful and lasting product.
- You are a software team lead looking for a better balance of coding and leadership.
- You are a valuable individual contributor looking to expand your horizons with a world-class software company.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
- You enjoy solving complex distributed computing, automation, security, performance, and usability problems.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of C#, .NET, TypeScript, and React, in the development environment of your choice.
- You like working with customers directly, helping them be successful with Octopus, even if success proves to be elusive.
- You enjoy doing things the right way from the very beginning knowing you are working on a valuable asset.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you. If you look like a good fit, we will be in touch to arrange a Zoom chat with one of our senior engineers.