CTO (Chief Technology Officer) at BFAM Partners (Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong)
Location: Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:01:21
BFAM Partners combines deep Asian market experience with excellent financial expertise and leading-edge technology to generate absolute returns. We manage capital for both pre-eminent global and local institutional investors. The investment strategy captures opportunities in Credit, Equity, Rates, and Volatility. Founded in 2012 by Benjamin Fuchs, the team has grown to over 80 people headquartered in Hong Kong, with an office in New York.
BFAM Partners research affiliate, Shell Street Labs, focuses on providing software and data solutions to an array of problems that arise in complex trading strategies. Its team of scientists uses advanced methods in Artificial Intelligence and mathematics applied to Big Data.
Benjamin A. Fuchs, CEO/CIO, has run the group since 2007 and has 25+ years of experience in Asian markets. The Asian Opportunities Fund (AOF) is composed of Credit, Equity, Rates, and Volatility strategies with dynamic capital allocation amongst strategies and a focus on Asian investments, while capitalizing on compelling global opportunities with returns driven by short-term tactical trading and medium-term positioning. Benjamin Fuchs and his teams have produced 15% net compound returns since April 2009. BFAM Partners current AUM is at about US$5b and has ambitions to grow organically to US$10b in the medium term
BFAM Partners is based in Hong Kong with a trading office in New York
Please note: This job posting is for direct applications only
BFAM Partners Technology function consists of 20 technologists across various disciplines namely, Investment Tech (known as Strats), Non-Investment Tech (known as Cross-Asset), Data Engineering, Trading Tech (Algo Development) and, Infrastructure support (known as RTB or Run The Bank).
Technology is the backbone of the organisation providing high touch, across the spectrum services to enable strong financial and institutional outcomes. Our Tech innovations and strengths have helped us weather various storms including the HK protests and the pandemic and make sure we are equipped with the right tools and automation to not just keep BAU but make sizable returns during this time.
The Tech team has grown exponentially from 3 in 2017 to its current size with talent mostly drawn from banks and financial institutions.
BFAM People & Culture
BFAMs business and stated ambition require qualified employees at all levels of the organisation, as well as dedicated and professional leaders with a strategic and international mind-set who know the business and can seize opportunities and respond to challenges. There are three key metrics: drive a performance culture through the organisation; recruit and retain talent and continuously develop the capabilities of employees; instil a leadership culture based on transparency, teamwork, and respect. BFAMs diverse talent comes from top universities globally with employees from 23 countries across Asia, Africa, Europe, and North America. Collectively, we speak 20 different languages.
The organisational culture is best described as Collaborative and Transparent, where the CIO is a player/coach managing a team of investment entrepreneurs responsible for their performance. The whole organisation works as one team driven to get the best returns for our investors in high quality and consistent way. BFAM People work every day to make sure they are entrepreneurial, sharing information, learning continuously and staying focussed on what is important.
BFAM Partners believes in being a learning organisation and invests heavily in employee development including team workshops, executive coaching and recruiting top university talents into its Junior Trader and Junior Developer programmes.
Background to and Primary Objective of the Role
This is a new position. Its strategic purpose is to lead the technology strategy of BFAM Partners to realise its stated purpose of being in the global top quartile of hedge funds in its category. The growth of BFAM Partners' AUM over the past 3 years has led to a significant increase in its trading activities, investment strategy breadth and depth, and its reliance on top-tier technology to support this growth and expansion. BFAM enjoys a strong employer brand, and has is successfully expanded its teams strength in extremely competitive market conditions. The tech function has made huge strides in building the tech stack, supporting various stakeholders through constant iterative evolution of its strategy and structure to enable business growth and success.
The challenge now is to assess BFAMs entire technology strategy with fresh eyes and lead a new vision for the next 5 years as we embark upon our journey to $10b. Embedding long-term, scalable and stable technology that stands the test of time and evolution is required. This transformation will have implications on the structure, processes, people and day-to-day stakeholder management, which the CTO will lead and manage through a strong second line of leads.
Driving a strong performance culture of delivery is key to success at BFAM Partners. The CTO will embody this key value and create a team culture that delivers high quality output with high employee engagement and morale. BFAM hires top talent and believes in paying top quartile total compensation to talents which putting the key metric of talent retention as an area of leadership accountability.
The role of Chief Technology Officer is part of the organisations senior management and requires a broad mix of business and technical skills. Success will rely on the ability to create a vision correlated to the organisations strategic goals, strategy, leadership & coaching, with varied technical skills, such as the overall programme management/execution of evaluation, architecture, development, and testing, applied to the ongoing strategy and processes of the business.
- Lead and execute the technology vision, strategy, structure, processes, aligned to day-to-day business needs and strategic growth plans
- Look at the current technology architecture in its totality with a set of fresh eyes
- Develop and manage the strong partnership with business stakeholders (Senior PM and Non-Investment Team leads) around technology needs and associated delivery
- Lead the technology team to create a culture of high performance (including the definition of team structure, role definition, hiring, and performance management)
- Maximise the use and alignment of technology with the businesss current needs -- both growth and change
- Review, evaluate new technologies that dovetail into the investment strategy
- Leverage technology to adapt, change, replace, optimise, and automate business workflows as appropriate
- Ensure, using technology, that all processes, workflows, and data are traceable, audit-able, correct, subject to the right controls, are secure, and will continue to work in a disaster situation to ensure business continuity
- Track and manage errors and failure rates to identify new issues, new controls and better processes
- Coach and develop the technology team, and grow them into leaders
- Work with the firms sister Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence (Shell Street Labs) to deliver trading idea signals to the desk and automate the process of trading to the maximum extent feasible
CEO/CIO BFAM Partners with day-to-day oversight by COO
Detailed Tasks Specification
Governance and strategy (25%)
- Driving Tech Vision & Brand
- Technology Strategy
- Performance Metrics
- Program Management
Team Leadership (20%)
- Organisation Structure (Technology)
- Development Planning
Software Development (15%)
- Development Policy (Standards, Guidelines)
- Change Management (Production)
- Development Tooling and Pipeline
Information Security (15%)
- Information Security Plan
- Software Development Security
- Cloud Security
- Security Testing (Internal / External)
- Investor Due Diligence
- Vendor Management (MSP)
- On-Premise Infrastructure
- Cloud-Based Infrastructure
Technology Support (10%)
- Desktop Support
- Trading Support
- Developer Support
- Vendor Escalation
Direct Reports: 4 S/W development leads, 1 RTB Head, 1 Senior Consultant
Internal Interfaces: Desk heads, Head of HR, Chief Risk Officer, Head of Investor Relations, General Counsel, CEO Shell Street Labs
Remuneration, Timescale and Method of Appointment
- A market benchmarked competitive total compensation is offered
- The need to fill the role is urgent. BFAM Partners will conduct preliminary interviews late March 2021
- It is anticipated the new appointee will start as soon as practicable in Q3 2021
Why work with us
- A unique work culture that combines autonomy and high performance with collaboration and respect for each other
- A results-oriented, transparent, meritocratic culture where outcomes and accomplishments are rewarded
- Flat hierarchy where everyone has access across the organisation
- Intellectually stimulating, high performance environment
- Casual but hard working work-style
- Located in Asias premier financial hub of Hong Kong
Competitive Rewards & Benefits
- A total compensation based approach to rewards, including base salary, signing bonus, and opportunity for discretionary performance bonus
- Top tier medical and dental insurance for employees and their dependents
- Life and business travel insurance
- Annual leave, flexible working options
- Based in Hong Kong, a low tax regime