VP of Engineering
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:01:47
Please visit the job page and apply: https://grnh.se/7a75739f2us
At Prisma we are building the data layer for modern applications. If you are fascinated by the software that power large technology companies such as Twitter, Airbnb and Facebook but want the challenges, freedom and ownership of a young startup, then Prisma might be the right place for you.
During the course of the past year our bottom-up adoption strategy has started to produce very exciting results. We have seen highly encouraging levels of developer adoption and community growth, setting us on the path to become the dominant NodeJS ORM within 12 months.
These results and feedback from our community enable us to start the next phase of our journey - building a commercial proof and strategy for Prisma. We have tens of thousands of developers currently using Prisma, with hundreds of thousands of NPM downloads per week. Some of these are large enterprises such as Accenture, Tryg, Algolia, Rapha and Microsoft.
To help us with the above we are looking to bolster our engineering leadership at Prisma by hiring a VP of Engineering to lead our engineering teams through this transition and beyond.
What would you do at Prisma?
The VP of Engineering will be responsible for managing the engineering teams, with all managers and teams reporting to them.
Your responsibilities as the VP of Engineering includes:
- Take key responsibility for engineering teams to incrementally build and deliver value to users and customers.
- Collaborate closely with major functions (product, marketing, design, operations) in the company to ensure engineering teams are working on the right things for the right reasons.
- Work with the CEO to maintain and evolve the technical vision and strategy and the team structures to support them.
- Create and exemplifies a healthy and inclusive and inclusive work environment for engineering teams to work and participate in.
- Actively work to identify and remove bottlenecks within the organisation within Engineering and beyond.
- Key technical focus of the role is debugging organisations and processes and to find solutions to make engineering teams more productive, effective, or unblocks them.
- Build and retain a diverse engineering team.
- Create hiring plans in line with organisational needs and budgets.
- Focus the engineering teams on delivering features in line with Prisma's business, product, and engineering strategy.
- Establish, maintains and advocates the engineering culture within the engineering organisation and across Prisma.
- Ensures that technical and architectural decisions across the engineering organisation are done within the frameworks and by bridging the technical with the business needs of the organisation.
- Implement feedback, review, and promotion processes across the engineering organisations to help all people in their teams advance in their career and in accordance with the company framework.
What are the requirements?
- 5+ Years in Senior Engineering Management positions, comfortable with working in and building a remote-first team.
- Deeply passionate about investing in people and growing them to become the best versions of themselves.
- Successful track-record of building, retaining, and scaling an engineering team in a start-up or fast growing organisation.
- Strong technical experience in modern technology stacks (our language is Rust but learning on the job is perfectly fine).
- Experience working in a Developer Tools company would be a benefit, but not a hard requirement.
What's it like to work at Prisma?
You're likely to be a great fit for the team if you ...
- ... have an ownership mindset. As part of a young startup and as the VP of Engineering, you'll have an outsize impact on decisions and the way things are executed. This will include influence over the direction of the company, hiring plans, budget and more.
- ... stay nimble. As a growing startup, the team and strategy evolves quickly. Be ready to re-calibrate often and stay flexible.
- ... be kind and collaborative. Come in ready to share your ideas and listen to feedback.
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity for large global impact working on one of the fastest growing open-source tools and help guide the team on it's new commercial journey.
- Have the opportunity to own Engineering at Prisma and build out the team to take the department and company forward.
- Work in full-distributed, remote-first organisation where work-life balance is celebrated and promoted.
- We provide a Competitive Base Salary in line with industry standards for similar positions.
- As an early-stage startup we also provide competitive Stock-Option Grants.
- 24 Days paid vacation per year.
- [US] Health, Dental, Vision + 401k Matching
- Generous Tech Budget to make sure you have all the hardware that you need.
We are a remote-first organisation with an office based in Berlin, Germany. Whether you would like to work remotely, or from the office in Berlin is up to you! We are open to discussing relocation assistance if you would like to join us in Berlin.
Although we are a fully remote and distributed team, for operational reasons we can currently only consider candidates that currently live, or intend to move to the timezone GMT -8 to GMT +3.
Note on COVID-19: The above opportunity to move to Berlin is temporarily suspended until we believe that travel is safe again.
What is our hiring process like?
- Introductory Call with someone from the Talent Acquisition team.
- First Interview with the VP of Product
- Second Interview with the VP of Design
- Round of Interviews with some of the Engineers at Prisma that you will be working with.
- Round of Interviews with the Leadership Team
- Final Interview with the CEO.
The above serves as a basic outline, we might choose to add or remove steps based on the information that we gather during the process.
If you believe that this is the right position for you then please send your resume along with any supporting documentation or information to us via the link provided on this page. We typically respond within 7 business days.
Prisma is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.