Full Stack Developer at Cadmus (Melbourne, Australia)
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:02:00
At Cadmus, were committed to improving teaching and learning in Higher Education. We believe assessment provides a powerful learning opportunity, which is why we've spent the last five years building an online assessment platform that puts simplicity and learning at its core. We pour quality and care into everything we do; allowing us to develop a product our users love, and strong relationships with our community.
Today, Cadmus is used by universities globally to create and deliver incredible learning experiences to thousands of students. Join us on this learning journey as we transform education across Australia and beyond!
Why we need you
As we grow, it's important that we maintain a high-quality experience for our users all over the world ensuring our cloud infrastructure is reliable, performant and set up to scale. We want to do everything we can to ensure our users enjoy their experience and love our platform. Thats why we're looking for a talented Full Stack Developer to join our Engineering team. With countless opportunities to make an impact, youll help us solve exciting engineering challenges and deliver improved functionality to take Cadmus even further.
About the role
As a Full Stack Developer, you'll work across multiple codebases with a small team of cross-functional developers to solve a wide range of product engineering and architectural design challenges. You'll apply your software engineering skills to build performant, modern front-end applications with functional paradigms in React and Typescript. You'll also implement the backend GraphQL APIs (Elixir) and the micro-services which furnish the product features.
You will have strong ownership across the development cycle and in addition to implementing new features, you'll focus on improving performance and reliability, and polish existing features. This is a truly unique opportunity to help shape our technology stack, processes, and contribute to the culture of the engineering team.
About our tech
- React (Typescript) front-end web applications (SPA)
- Elixir backend with GraphQL APIs
- Haskell web services and Typescript (NodeJS) lambda functions
- AWS cloud infrastructure
We also use and love to experiment with other languages for various tooling, as well as micro-services like Rust and Python, to ensure we find the best tool for the job. If you want to know more about what its like to be a developer at Cadmus, check out our blog post.
We want to hear from developers with a passion for building modern web applications. You love exploring new technologies in order to solve problems and want to make constant improvements to our users experience. You have an eye for UI design and an interest in applying product development methodologies to boost the user experience. You thrive working in a team, love end-to-end ownership, obsess over details, and use data to help make the best choices for the wider business.
In this role you'll:
- Develop complex front-end applications in React, in Typescript, and the GraphQL and REST APIs servicing them
- Implement features for our web based rich-text Editor and the surrounding architecture for a complete online editing environment
- Write code and services for the backend systems in Elixir, Haskell, and other languages to implement business logic
- Implement the testing, performance, and telemetry processes for the product features to ensure a high-quality experience for our users
- Play an active role in designing and improving the overall product architecture to support massive growth in users and products
- Collaborate with product designers and other developers to scope and plan new features, translating requirements for a feature into technical design
- Work closely with our Support team to manage user support escalation requests, which can require detailed investigation with permanent and scalable solutions
- Follow best practices (test-driven development, continuous integration, adhering to coding standards) to write clean, maintainable, and efficient code
Wed love to hear from you if you have:
- 1-2 years industry experience in software development
- Experience developing rich front-end applications in React and using the frameworks in the React ecosystem
- Experience with Typescript and Browser DOM APIs
- Experience in creating and working with front-end design systems, CSS-in-JS and CSS layouts with Flexbox and Grid systems
- Experience with front-end build systems and testing tooling like Webpack, Babel, Jest, Storybook, Cypress etc.
- Back-end programming experience with languages like Elixir, Typescript (NodeJS), Ruby, Haskell, or similar in building web servers
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals, data structures and design patterns, and an ability to use them practically when implementing solutions
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- A results-oriented approach with proven experience in shipping high-quality product features on schedule
Bonus points if you have:
- Startup DNA; youre flexible, comfortable with ambiguity, and have experience scaling systems to support rapid growth
- Experience with Functional Programming languages
About our perks
- Unlimited holiday leave
- Flexible working culture
- The opportunity to work where you want
- Learning allowances
- Equity incentives
- New Apple tech
- And heaps of fun social stuff! We value hard work and fun in equal measure
Who can apply?
We're a remote-friendly company and this role is open to candidates in Melbourne or remote from anywhere in Australia as long as you have a good internet connection and are willing to travel to Melbourne throughout the year.
About our process
Apply online with your resume only.
Instead of a cover letter, wed love for you to answer a few questions with your application.
Our interview process is normally a recruiter interview, a hiring manager interview, a programming task, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews that will be held via Zoom.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting cadmus.io or follow our social channels.