Cloud Software Engineer (Remote) at Element 84 () (allows remote)
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:02:03
About the Job
Element 84 is hiring a Cloud Software Engineer to join our team in building software that uses the latest cloud-based capabilities and technologies for meaningful projects in the public and private sector. You'll join a small team of multidisciplinary designers and engineers working to solve challenging problems in geospatial, healthcare, disaster response, and transportation. We're a small company with big roles, and you'll be able to make an impact on day one.
You'll care about writing. Our team is remote and written communication is essential. In addition to caring about a well-crafted email and a succinct conference abstract, you understand that good writing is good design and engineering.
Please submit your information, resume and cover letter if you are interested in this permanent position in the Washington, DC metro area. Remote candidates welcome.
Here are things we’ve worked on recently to give you an idea of how you might spend your day:
- Paired with our partners to explain how to leverage the capabailities of the cloud on their large-scale workloads
- Troubleshooted why a user is seeing intermittent failures when running their machine learning algorithm
- Peer reviewed tests and code associated with a new API endpoint
- Embraced infrastructure as code for rapid and replicable deployments
Here are the guidelines we're looking at to gauge experience and skillset:
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Knowledge of agile development practices using associated project management tools
- Well versed in software engineering methodology and processes
- Experience with secure software development practices and concepts
- Experience with Python or NodeJS, preferably in a serverless cloud context
- Knowledge of relational databases such as Postgres or MySQL
- Experience with testing and CM tools such as git
- Knowledge of cloud architecture including but not limited to networking, data storage, security, cloud specific patterns, and AWS service selection.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science or relevant experience
- Experience: 4-8 years of relevant experience
- AWS certification (Associate, Professional, and/or Speciality)
- Experience with large-scale data processing pipelines and data lakes in AWS
- Experience with distributed, loosely-coupled and scalable architectures including serverless architecture and frameworks
- Familiarity with spatial data, reference and projection systems
- Experience with geospatial data and tools (commercial or open source)
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, Cloudformation)
- Experience with Relational and NoSQL database design
- Experience with Cloud security including AWS IAM and VPC concepts
- Experience troubleshooting serverless and container-oriented AWS deployments (CloudWatch, CloudTrail, X-Ray)
Candidates must have strong technical abilities, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis. Candidates must also be able to integrate into a highly-skilled Software Engineering team.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. At this time, Element 84 will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.