Software Engineer - Fleet Operations at Saildrone (Alameda, CA)
Location: Alameda, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-08 05:02:04
Saildrone designs and manufactures wind and solar powered autonomous surface vehicles called Saildrones, which make cost-effective ocean data collection possible at scale. We are working with governments, civic agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas - be it in mapping out the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and trafficking. We believe that better inputs in planetary models in turn yield better outputs and that the new insights gained in weather forecasting, carbon cycling, global fishing and climate change will have tremendous impact on humanity. We are based in Alameda, CA and are backed by Social Capital, The Capricorn Investment Group, Lux Capital, Horizons Venture and The Schmidt Family Foundation.
As a software engineer on the Fleet Operations team, youll get to touch the systems that interact directly with our drones. If satellite gateways, drone health monitoring, and critical platform APIs are your thing, well have we got the role for you!
Were looking for a talented software engineer with a solid understanding of building scalable backend systems to join our team. While this role is primarily focused on backend services, knowledge of or experience with modern frontend web development is a huge plus. Youll work closely with product managers, frontend and vehicle engineers, and operations personnel in this position. In addition, youll also spend a small percentage of your time aiding in drone readiness, helping to prepare drones for their voyages; this will require occasional onsite visits involving hands-on work with the drones.
Experience building and maintaining applications in Python (Django) and/or Node.js (Express, Hapi)
Experience with SQL (we use Postgres) and Redis
Experience with message queues (we use NSQ and SNS/SQS)
Experience with developing and deploying distributed services with Docker
Experience with TDD/BDD and CI
Experience with gRPC, HTTP/2, or websockets
Experience with Protocol Buffers
Experience with or interest in TypeScript
Experience with or interest in React and Redux
Working knowledge of core internet networking protocols (UDP/TCP)
Experience working with geospatial and/or time series data
This position is in Alameda, CA. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered. Our waterfront office offers beautiful views of San Francisco Bay in always sunny Alameda. Even our walls have good karma, our offices mix software development with a hardware production line in the former airplane hangar used to film 'The Matrix'.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Active sailing classes: become a certified skipper on boats up to 35ft! (once COVID safety allows)
- Short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced paternity / maternity programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, discounted gym, life insurance, 401k plan
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing post series-B startup at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
You can read the latest about us:
- Saildrone Surveyor Launch (Jan 2021)
- Washington Post: Four autonomous vessels sailed the Arctic to more precisely map its seafloor(Oct 2020)
- USNI: Coast Guard Begins At-Sea Testing of Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Tackle Illegal Fishing, Crime (Oct 2020)
- Forbes: Five Ways Saildrones Satellites Of The Seas Could Transform Mauritius Oil Spill Response (Sept 2020)
- Maritime Executive: Due to COVID-19, NOAA Uses Drones Instead of Ships for Fishery Survey (June 2020)
- Or watch some of our videos: Bloomberg: The Robots Roaming the High Seas
Saildrone is an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.