Machine Learning Research Engineer at Memri B.V (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-11 05:00:39
Work with us
Some people get the best jobs because they have the right network of friends, ex-colleagues or family. But there are many people without that luck and never have that opportunity. This is your opportunity!
Despite generating more data than ever, our data has less utility to us than ever before because it’s siloed and can’t be manipulated or visualized. Furthermore, existing platforms are designed to capture our attention, manipulate and divide us, and prevent us from efficiently meeting our goals. Put simply, the incentives of tech companies are not aligned with their users.
Memri aims to fix this, giving utility to your data by having it all in one place. Rather than being designed to simply capture your attention, Memri is designed to improve your relationship with technology and empower you with new tools that are useful for your day-to-day life.
Our mission is to empower people by unlocking the potential of their data. We want to create a world where the incentives of technology are aligned with the users. Where people own and control their own data and are “the rulers of their own dataverse,” and can manage this data with a digital assistant which helps them actually make sense of it all.
What we offer:
As an early organization we offer a base salary with a large stake in the future upside of our effort. Our leadership has successfully started and sold previous startups, and although we have chosen an approach that puts our values first, and profit second, we still expect a good future financial outcome as well. We offer a creative, highly participatory environment without the classical top-down hierarchy. We value that each candidate brings their own unique mix of skills and experience.
We are a remote organization, but you will be working with a machine learning team that operates from an office in Amsterdam. We are looking for candidates that are willing to work from there at least several days a week. We believe your life outside your professional commitments should be enjoyed, and time to rejuvenate is critical to thriving. That’s why we work flexibly during the month. You commit your time for a specific number of hours during a month and you can work during the times that are most productive for you.
We have several team meetings to learn from each other and see the whole product, but also to grow ourselves by giving and receiving feedback but also to give and receive appreciation.
Machine Learning Research Engineer
We are looking for a Machine Learning Research engineer to join our team to expand our privacy preserving machine learning libraries, which contain code to build machine learning models on data you cannot see. Additionally, you will use these libraries to build high quality machine learning models. We have a world class product, engineering and data science team, passionate about our mission of helping consumer take back control of their digital life, by creating simple yet powerful and private solutions. We’re looking for someone who loves creating machine learning models that are used by many people and is excited to join a team of passionate and values driven people to have a positive impact on society.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, train, productionize and monitor machine learning algorithms that are trained using federated learning and other privacy preserving machine learning techniques
- Work together with product designers to create ideas for new machine learning features
- Collaborate with open source communities to
- Help develop and research privacy preserving machine learning infrastructure
- Integrate this infrastructure with Memri infrastructure
- Collaboratively build and host models
- Build prototypes based on new PPML infrastructure
- Integrate open source data labeling tools with the Memri infrastructure
- Write about your work (blog material)
- Strong Python skills, you are comfortable working with jupyter notebooks
- Experience with writing production quality code as a team and all related tools (Tests/CI/Git/Packaging/Documentation)
- Experience with building and training machine learning models in pytorch
- You are aware of the latest development around Machine Learning
- You can quickly prototype:
- Near SoTa machine learning models for common tasks
- Small web applications (Flask, FastAPI, or similar)
- Small libraries in python
- You are comfortable with working with concepts that are unfamiliar to you
- You possess great levels of perseverance when working on challenging problems
- Strong presence and communication; ability to succinctly present your design decisions and process to anyone, at all levels in the company
We will give preference to candidates that possess some of the following skills:
- Experience with designing libraries used by other developers
- Experience with low level languages (Rust, C++, etc.)
- Experience with advanced Python concepts
- Experience with productionizing Machine Learning models at large scale
- A demonstrable record of building SoTa machine learning models
- Strong web skills
We really appreciate a cover letter when you apply for the job. We receive a lot of applications so the cover letter can make the difference!