Site Reliability Engineer at William Hill (Leeds, UK)
Location: Leeds, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-11 05:00:40
We're building our Site Reliability capability in order to support William Hill's vast tech landscape. As a Site Reliability Engineer, working within our Unity Team, you'll work with an autonomous team to run operations and help improve development pipelines and infrastructure.
Working with us, you'll be at the heart of the technological revolution of one of the world's most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from mobile Casinos to online Sportsbooks and everything in between. The software you write will process 500 online bets per second, accommodate 20 million users, and process 160 terabytes a day. You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
SRE is a discipline which involves a highly skilled combination of engineering and operations skills, and is designed to automate and improve operations. You'll place a strong engineering emphasis on building bespoke autonomous solutions that deliver value to end-users early, often, and at a fast pace. Your work will be central to the reputation and trustworthiness of the product, and we'll rely on you to act as an advocate for engineering best practices.
You'll take ownership of process management – automating provisioning, quality controls, security auditing and maintenance. You'll own continuous improvement of platforms by analysing and improving efficiency, reliability, and scalability of the platform including deployment tooling and infrastructure. You'll create software delivery pipelines to increase development teams' velocity and confidence.
Communication is key–you'll promote and advocate across product teams on reliability topics, plus you'll draft design documents and present solutions to stakeholders. As infrastructure liaison, you'll help infrastructure teams plan disaster recovery drills, coordinate patching, oversee upgrades, and ensure compliance with best practice.
The role requires flexibility to participate in rotating on-call duties and timely post-mortems of production incidents.
Skills and experience
You'll need to display strong communication skills with the ability to align diverse stakeholder groups on complex technical decisions. You can influence business stakeholders to align on architectural changes, and you can use your expertise to coach and mentor colleagues around you, harnessing the team’s potential.
You're entrepreneurial and excited about trying new technologies and architectural solutions -but you don't shy away from maintaining and upgrading legacy systems.
- Familiarity with orchestration tools (Kubernetes, Istio)
- Experience working in Agile teams and adopting Agile SDLC practices
- Experience managing technical priorities within the Backlog, plus constant upkeep of documentation and runbooks
What we offer
We take the safety and wellbeing of our employees seriously, especially at this challenging time. We have put in place robust Covid19 measures and are supporting our new employees with a smooth remote onboarding and training programme to make you feel welcome and part of our team. We offer a balanced approach to office and home working - now and for the long term future.
- World class mentoring, career development opportunities, internal training and an individual development budget
- Mac OS or Windows hardware to choose from
- A great working atmosphere, in a collaborative team of amazing people, with forward thinking managers
- Competitive base salary and benefits, with fully paid private healthcare (Lux Med), fully paid Multisport pass, employee referral program, and an extra day off for your birthday.
- Meetups, quality questions events, hackathons, we love any chance to share knowledge and have fun.
- Flexible working practices
- Excellent city centre location with a tram stop right outside the office, and free parking spaces cars, motorcycles and bikes.