Software Engineer, Transport Data at Citymapper (London, UK)
Location: London, UK
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-12 05:00:28
Without good transport data, specifically public transport timetables and realtime information, the Citymapper app would not exist. Transport data powers our cutting edge multimodal journey planner - renowned in complex cities with complex transport networks.
We offer the opportunity to build essential information for millions of users - letting them know when the next bus is arriving, which trains are disrupted, and what time they should leave to get home.
What you’ll do:
- Empower our city experts by building robust, reliable software for wrangling and debugging transport data
- Collaborate with the product, apps and routing teams to improve how transport data is represented
- Work on sophisticated challenges such as:
- Monitoring transport data quality and discovering new ways to improve it
- Finding novel ways to link disparate data from timetables, vehicle monitoring systems, users, and news sources
- Building tools that manage local incidents and communicate with users about transport issues
- Improve our processes for building, shipping and monitoring transport data
Fun projects we recently took on:
- Deployed a real time monitoring system to help commuters in Hong Kong navigate complex route diversions
- Built a model railway in SQL to better understand New York Subway timetables
- Traveled to the Paris (pre-COVID) suburbs to integrate an obscure real-time API
Ultimately we don’t have hard requirements beyond needing you to be smart, curious, and keen to get stuck in. However we are looking for candidates with some professional software engineering experience. Attention to detail and experience wrangling data (especially transport data) is a plus.
- Tech: main language Python 3; For some projects we use Go, Java, C++
- Tooling: GitHub, AWS, SQL, Linux
- Best practices: code reviews, tests, CI