Principal Full Stack Engineer at Pliancy (Palo Alto, CA) (allows remote)
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Type: Full Time
Created: 2021-04-14 05:01:19
About the role
This is a strategically important role within our small, yet focused engineering team, designed to help refine and execute on our vision. You will work closely with engineering leadership and many other stakeholders to look forward and create strategy for where we’re going, as well as jump into the code to help us get there.
An average day
While we all know there is no average day in engineering, let’s try and paint a picture for you:
First, you’re in a meeting to go over final design considerations for a project you’ve been working on to improve time management for consultants (billing their time to clients). During the meeting you get a Slack message that something isn’t quite working right with the new frontend feature in staging on certain browsers, so you finish up and go help scope what might be going on while daydreaming better ways to automate testing in local dev, so that these things can be found faster in the pipeline. You pop open your IDE and knock out a particularly critical part of the authentication logic for a new API microservice meant to support streaming user information from a third-party system. Another feature project is also in the works and the database design still isn’t nailed down… you go poke some of the stakeholders with questions to try to scope in the requirements and figure out what’s going to result in the best outcome. Towards the end of the day you draft a Slack announcement about a big feature release that is going live (finally!) and the emojis go wild on the post. Success!
Core responsibilities to our mission
- Expert leadership and mentorship for software development across the full technology stack (database design to frontend development)
- Work with the business to identify ways to better support our consultants and scale our technology solutions to support the industry needs
- Act as a domain expert with regard to software design and engineering
- Build a sustainable development practice; find ways to improve execution through meaningful testing and process improvements that drive reliability
- Architect both software and systems to support the vision with a bias for simplicity and automation
- Lead new feature development lifecycles and help resolve issues as they inevitably arise
Who are we looking for?
You are deeply driven to improve others' experiences. You lead by example and thrive seeing your peers grow and mentoring them along the way. You use a first principles approach to understanding challenges and problems.
You also have attention to detail with everything you do and want to create outcomes that impress those around you, embracing failure as a lesson and providing honest feedback to everyone equally. You have a deep understanding of API design best practices and building a stable API for consumption by multiple end systems. You have strong experience with authentication systems and identity management with regard to software design.
You’re an expert in:
- Modern web technologies (Typescript and NodeJS backend experience highly desired)
- Software reliability, with a focus on best practices that increase deployment confidence
- Front-end frameworks, such as Vue (preferred), Svelte, or React
- Scalable cloud-native systems design, with technologies such as docker, kubernetes, and other IaaS design paradigms
- Generous salary, above-average pay ($175K-$210K dependent on experience)
- “Cadillac” healthcare: Anthem Blue Cross Gold Plan (Premiums 100% covered for employees, 50% for dependents)
- Medical HRA: Company-funded reimbursement account to help cover copays, deductibles, and coinsurance
- Dental and vision coverage
- 401K + 6% company matching (available from your first day)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Paid leave for new parents
- Wellness reimbursement up to $100 per month
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Home internet reimbursement
- Commuter benefits